Join now - be part of our community!

A disk read error occured message

profile.country.el_GR.title
Segleo
Visitor

A disk read error occured message

I bought my Vaio a year ago and now when I try to turn it on it keeps saying "A disk read error occured, Press Ctrl + Alt + Del to restart" but every time I restart it the same message appears. Does this mean that my hard disk has to be replaced or what?? Help pleasee!!

4 REPLIES 4
profile.country.en_GB.title
mithcd
Visitor

Looks like an intermittent issue. When this notebook works fine, try to do a disk defrag. https://imagicon.info/cat/12-13/vmware_happy.gif

Segleo
Visitor

But the fact is that it doesn't work at all! Every time I try to turn it on the same message appears! I even called Sony Vaio Service but it says that the number isn't correct... :slight_frown:

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi Segleo.

What model Vaio do you have?  Is it still within warranty?

It does sound like either a hard disc hardware failure or the data on the disc has become corrupt.

Check in the BIOS to see if the hard drive is recognised.  When you see the Vaio Logo splash screen, tap F2 repeatedly and the BIOS screens should appear.  Scroll through and see if the hard drive is recognised or if it says hard drive not present.

If the disc is recognised, can you boot into 'Safe Mode'?  Try tapping F8 when you see the Vaio Logo and choose Safe Mode.  If this works you can carry out a disc check.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/start-your-computer-in-safe-mode

If the BIOS does not recognise a hard drive, the drive will need to be replaced and if you are within the Warranty period, contact Vaio Support.

Have you backed up your data and have you made a set of recovery discs?

To contact Vaio Support, click on SUPPORT at the top of this page, choose 'Online Support' then 'Contact Us' and then 'Vaio and Computing'.  A window will open for you to enter your Vaio's Serial Number.  If it does not recognise the Serial Number, check that you have Registered your Vaio with Sony.

:thinking:

Segleo
Visitor

Hi Blencogo,

The laptop's model is VCPEB31E.

I checked the BIOS and it can find the hard drive but I can't boot it in safe mode.

I have even tried Vaio CAre Rescue but it can't load the files and keeps showing the error screen.

I also went to the Support Page and entered the Serial but it said I should call 00800 44121496. I called them several times but it keeps saying that the number isn't correct.