Join now - be part of our community!

HT-SF150 unreliable HDMI Connection

SOLVED
profile.country.GB.title
mismall16
Explorer

HT-SF150 unreliable HDMI Connection

I bought an HT-SF150 soundbar to work with my KD-43X8305C smart TV.  Connected via HDMI ARC using high quality cable.  I have set it to be controlled by the TV.  It works OK until I leave the TV on standby overnight.  In the morning it does not connect or at least connect correctly.  Sometimes it is controlled by the TV but there is no sound.  Sometimes the TV does not  control it.  Sometime the lights on the HT-SF150 flash to indicate that it is muted (but I TV unmute control does not have any effect).  

If anyone has any suggestions I would be grateful.  Otherwise I will return to the vendor.

Thanks for any help

Tags (1)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
mismall16
Explorer

Thanks to all for your helpful suggestions.  I have now found and fixed the problem.

The problem was related to the HDMI connection to the Humax FV5000T recorder.

Even though the Humax FV5000T was configured to NOT use HDMI CEC - it appears that when I switched on the TV it was sending something that confused the TV.  Firstly I disconnected the HDMI lead from the Humax FV5000T to the TV and then everything worked fine.

Since I would still like to use the Humax FV5000T purchased and HDMI F/M CEC less adapter and inserted this between the Humax FV5000T and the TV.  The sound bar now works correctly and I can still use the Humax FV5000T.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/LINDY-HDMI-Less-Adapter-Female-Black/dp/B00DL48KVI 

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
profile.country.GB.title
HannahEd01
Community Team

Hi mismall16, try unplugging everything from the mains and the TV as well and see what happens, also, which software version do you have?

profile.country.GB.title
mismall16
Explorer

Thanks for taking the trouble to reply

1) I have tried resetting the TV (unplug / wait 2 minutes) and reset the sound bar.

2) The TV is set to Auto Update the firmware and the system says it is up to date.

All works OK unless I leave TV on standby for more than a couple of hours.  When I switch the TV on again the Sound bar is disconnected by the TV.

I have returned the sound bar to John Lewis

profile.country.GB.title
HannahEd01
Community Team

Hi mismall16, if by resetting you meaning unplugging, try a factory reset for both. Also, even if your TV is set to auto update that's not a guarantee it will update. Try pressing Help on the remote to get the version and compare it to the support page if you don't want to post it here \._./

profile.country.GB.title
mismall16
Explorer

Thanks again for replying.  The software version is 5.417  - this looks to be not the latest version.  I tried search for updates but it simply says your software is up to date.  Not confident to download and manually install a newer version.

It is very frustrating that the "smart" TV disconnects the sound but provides no explanation.   

profile.country.GB.title
mismall16
Explorer

After resetting everything and starting again from scratch.  HDMI ARC Connection and CEC Control set

1) Everything initially works - the sound bar is controlled by the TV and switches on and off with the TV

2) Turn off TV with remote and leave overnight when switched on using TV remote next day:

- TV Powers up

- Sound bar initially powers up

- TV message "Sound to TV Speakers" is displayed.
 - Sound bar no longer controlled via TV remote.

3 Leaving the TV on

- Use sound bar remote to power off the sound bar

- Use sound bar remote to power on the sound bar

- TV detects sound bar and connects TV Message "Sound to Audio System"

- Sound bar now controlled via the TV

There appears to be some timing problem when bot devices have been on standby for a long time.  This is not optimal but it does appear to be a workable solution.   

profile.country.GB.title
HannahEd01
Community Team

The update manually is really safe, you just download the file, extract it, transfer it to the TV. It's on the support page: https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/support/lcd-tvs-android-x83xxc-series/kd-43x8305c/software/002594...

profile.country.GB.title
mismall16
Explorer

Thanks to all for your helpful suggestions.  I have now found and fixed the problem.

The problem was related to the HDMI connection to the Humax FV5000T recorder.

Even though the Humax FV5000T was configured to NOT use HDMI CEC - it appears that when I switched on the TV it was sending something that confused the TV.  Firstly I disconnected the HDMI lead from the Humax FV5000T to the TV and then everything worked fine.

Since I would still like to use the Humax FV5000T purchased and HDMI F/M CEC less adapter and inserted this between the Humax FV5000T and the TV.  The sound bar now works correctly and I can still use the Humax FV5000T.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/LINDY-HDMI-Less-Adapter-Female-Black/dp/B00DL48KVI