Join now - be part of our community!

My new Sony RX100M6 compact: Best settings for Macro, particularly of small subjects, e.g. insects!

profile.country.GB.title
MikeL52.
Explorer

My new Sony RX100M6 compact: Best settings for Macro, particularly of small subjects, e.g. insects!

I ve been advised by a wildlife expert friend of mine who's good at taking shots of e.g. hoverflies, bees &c that the best shoot mode to use (i.e. better than the Intelligent Auto, which can be rather hit & miss)  is Shoot Mode 'A'. His advice was metering mode: 'matrix' and focus area: 'center'.

But I want to know what the Sony community' advice is.

If I press the function button, one sees the tabulated display: Drive Mode; Focus Mode; Focus Area; Exposure Comp.;  ISO; Metering Mode. [ top row]....and ...Flash Mode: Flash Comp.; White Balance;  Creative Style: File Format; Shoot Mode [ bottom row].

I guess it's the top row which is the important one to adjust. Can anyone recommend to me the best settings (the top row) that I need to photograph small insect subjects.....often these will be on leaves, but more often still, pollinating on flower heads (the brightness of the flower head ....often white or yellow....will often affect the clarity/sharpness of the foreground subject, in my experience). Any tips or advice from wildlife photography experts...macro... very gartefuly received.  Other small subjects could include, moths, butterflies, beetles, grasshoppers   & so on....ad infinitum!!     MANY THANKS

2 REPLIES 2
profile.country.NL.title
Strampke
Expert

When you want to focus manually then set Focus Mode to DMF.

To help you focus use peaking level and peaking color.

Or set the selector to A and learn yourself to play with aperture.

Read a lot in the manual like the shooting tips.

Even your camera has a menu item Shooting tip list.

Go youtube, there are so many people who share their knowledge.

Enjoy your beautiful XM100 Mk6.

profile.country.GB.title
MikeL52.
Explorer

Thanks for the advice. I have already been experimenting with the A drive, and think I've got the correct combination - aperture/focus/light & c.

I'll also look on You Tube. Ta very much

M.