Join now - be part of our community!

Any one else feel they have been conned by Sony?

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
gordoncummings
New

Any one else feel they have been conned by Sony?

I bought a Sony 32" TV / built in Blu Ray before Christmas and got the VAT back today, paid into my account by BACS. Its a bit of a con for the unwary customer who purchased in good faith as the VAT isn't the full amount; its paid at a net rate of 14.89% not 17.5%. This means that on a VAT amount of £87.49 which I paid at the point of purchase, I only got £74.47 back. Now that I look at it , this is explained in very small print on the leaflet, but as far as I am concerned its a big con by Sony, given that they also bumped the price of the TV up around the same time as they introduced this offer.

Goodbye Sony; a loyal customer for 30 years is now going to buy Panasonic from now on.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

I'm not sure where you learnt your Mathemetics but they are completely wrong.  Sony are quite correct to refund 14.89% of the amount you paid.

If you buy something for £100 then you (last year) will have have paid £17.50 in VAT.

The total price paid is therefore £117.50.

To fully refund you the correct amount of VAT = £17.50 this is 14.89% of £117.50.

You are making a simple error as the VAT to be refunded is on £100.00 not on £117.50.

Sony at least got the amount of VAT to be refunded correct and you can rest assured that you have received the full 17.5% VAT back.

I hope you are not the Chancellor of the Exchequer!!!!!

:wink:

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

I'm not sure where you learnt your Mathemetics but they are completely wrong.  Sony are quite correct to refund 14.89% of the amount you paid.

If you buy something for £100 then you (last year) will have have paid £17.50 in VAT.

The total price paid is therefore £117.50.

To fully refund you the correct amount of VAT = £17.50 this is 14.89% of £117.50.

You are making a simple error as the VAT to be refunded is on £100.00 not on £117.50.

Sony at least got the amount of VAT to be refunded correct and you can rest assured that you have received the full 17.5% VAT back.

I hope you are not the Chancellor of the Exchequer!!!!!

:wink: