Join now - be part of our community!

Sony 1080 receiver switching input always shows home screen

profile.country.GB.title
JackBerryman

Sony 1080 receiver switching input always shows home screen

Hello all, i’ve Just bought and set up my new 1080 and it’s almost perfect except for one thing. For some reason whenever I switch inputs (I.e to Netflix or turn on the PlayStation) the input switches ok but then just after the home screen pops up. This is really annoying as it means I then need to press the home button on the amp remote and I can’t just use 1 remote to control everything. Searching the net shows other people have solved this by disabling HDMI CEC but I really don’t want to do this as it would still mean having to switch the inputs manually. 

Anybody have any ideas on how to solve this? many thanks in advance. 

190 REPLIES 190
profile.country.GB.title
mrkielbasa

It is very strange why this new issue has just started happening for me and others just out of the blue. Last night I was checking a few setings and doing some tests and it had powered itself on 3 times in a row after I had powered it off so I hard reset my STR1080  , making sure everything was unplugged , ran the easy setup again , powered it off , it stayed off , plugged back in my HDMI devices and HDMI A from STR into the TV and powered it back on , all good , powered it off .....AND it powered itself back on again! 

One thing I noticed is that my Samsung TV HDMI1 does not support ARC , that is on HDMI3 so I have changed my STR1080  OUT >  Samsung IN to the ARC HDMI3 input and it powered off and stayed off so I will check this again later this evening and see if it made any difference, though i wont be holding my breath!

profile.country.GB.title
clutchcable
Explorer

Another odd behaviour I noticed yesterday was if everything was off that’s the tv, PS4 pro and amp and I pressed the PlayStation button to power on the PS4 pro the Samsung tv would power on instantly, the 1080 would remain off at this point.

once the PS4 was fully booted up and in the dashboard I noticed the screen went black with the little spinning symbol from the amp came on then it went back to the PS4 screen, this happened three times on the third the 1080 finally powered on.

i reproduced this effect three times. Then made a mental note that I will manually power on the amp in future.

when I first got the amp I didn’t use it a lot but now I am, I am noticing these things more.

I am thinking of returning this amp to richer sounds.

i just wished I’d done more research on this amp before I purchased it, but the award it one sold it to me. Before this I owned two Onkyo amps and for me they just worked.

profile.country.GB.title
BombPAC

The audio performance from the amp itself is excellent, but Sony’s implementation of HDMI CEC/ARC is woeful. The only way I have found of overcoming these issues is to switch off HDMI control on all devices and don’t use ARC.

If you do this then you will need to do the following:

• use the 1080 as the main hub. Attach all your devices into this and the HDMI out into a non-ARC input on your TV
  • switch off HDMI control/CEC on all devices
  • if you want Dolby Digital Plus or above from Netflix, Amazon etc., use a separate streaming device, such as a Roku stick or Apple TV, instead of using the apps from your smart TV. I have an Apple TV as it supports 4K, HDR, Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos, which is also supported by the 1080
  • attach an optical cable from the TV into the 1080 to get sound from over-the-Air TV channels, such as Freeview
  • (Optional) it helps if you have a universal remote to control all devices centrally, to avoid death by remote

By doing this, I no longer get the Home screen, or slow inputs, and I haven’t got this mysterious auto-switch on issue being experienced by people on this thread either.

Shame on you though, Sony. This should just work without all this faffing about...

profile.country.GB.title
mrkielbasa

Yeah that is crazy , and sounds like a lot of hassle. It should just work esp coming from established vendors like Sony etc The home screen issue I can get over but amps randomly powering back on after being switched off is not acceptable and not something I want to be battling with late at night when I want to get to bed!

profile.country.GB.title
LtPidgeon

@BombPAC wrote:

The audio performance from the amp itself is excellent, but Sony’s implementation of HDMI CEC/ARC is woeful. The only way I have found of overcoming these issues is to switch off HDMI control on all devices and don’t use ARC.

If you do this then you will need to do the following:

• use the 1080 as the main hub. Attach all your devices into this and the HDMI out into a non-ARC input on your TV
  • switch off HDMI control/CEC on all devices
  • if you want Dolby Digital Plus or above from Netflix, Amazon etc., use a separate streaming device, such as a Roku stick or Apple TV, instead of using the apps from your smart TV. I have an Apple TV as it supports 4K, HDR, Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos, which is also supported by the 1080
  • attach an optical cable from the TV into the 1080 to get sound from over-the-Air TV channels, such as Freeview
  • (Optional) it helps if you have a universal remote to control all devices centrally, to avoid death by remote

By doing this, I no longer get the Home screen, or slow inputs, and I haven’t got this mysterious auto-switch on issue being experienced by people on this thread either.

Shame on you though, Sony. This should just work without all this faffing about...

I had my setup with my 1080 as the hub, with all my sources going through it with the HDMI out into HDMI 2 of my C7 which is the ARC. I also use a Harmony Elite remote, and my system has been rock solid until just last week I think it was. I did apply a FW update to my amp a few weeks ago, but the weird power on issue did not start then.

profile.country.GB.title
BombPAC

@LtPidgeon wrote:

I had my setup with my 1080 as the hub, with all my sources going through it with the HDMI out into HDMI 2 of my C7 which is the ARC. I also use a Harmony Elite remote, and my system has been rock solid until just last week I think it was. I did apply a FW update to my amp a few weeks ago, but the weird power on issue did not start then.

I think the Home screen issue may have started with a firmware update - it’s difficult for me to know for sure as I haven’t had the amp that long myself. The key point is that it is using CEC (HDMI control) that causes the problem - which is mandatory if you also want to use ARC. Once you disable CEC it solves the problem, but that also means you can’t then use ARC.

For info, I also have an LG TV and Harmony Elite, so it sounds like we have a similar setup...

profile.country.GB.title
pr0phecy
Explorer

New user here, as I own the 1080 about two weeks now. Been having the exact same two issues as the others in this tread:

* Annoying Home screen pop-up

* Since a week or so, after a power down of devices suddenly auto power-on of the receiver and my Dreambox (which I have fixed). 

I have the following setup:

- LG OLED B8 TV model (using the HDMI2 ARC port)

- Sony STR-DN1080 (using the ARC port connected to my TV) 

- Dreambox (TV DVR box)

- Harmony Elite remote and hub

So about two weeks ago, I install and setup my receiver and configuring this new receiver in my Harmony Elite. I am getting that annoying AV Home screen after the first time powering up everything with my Harmony. Configured the Watch TV activity on my Harmony so that after a 5 second delay, it switches to the correct input in case the Home screen appears. This seems to work, still annoying (because of the delays of the input switching), but for me an acceptable workaround.

Then a week later, I suddenly noticed the other issue popped out of the blue, when I power off everything, the receiver (also my Dreambox) turned back on automatically. I think my TV got an update, because that is the only device in my setup that automatically installs a firmware update whenever one is available. I went into the HDMI-CEC setting (or Simplink as it is called in LG land) of my TV and only disabled the "Auto Power Sync" slide, while leaving the general Simplink slide on. This has solved for me the auto power-on of my receiver and Dreambox. So when I press the "Off" button on my Harmony remote, the devices now stay off.

Although I have a workable-ish workaround for that Home pop-up issue, I'm seriously considering to just don't use the Netflix/Amazon Prime apps on my LG TV anymore and therefore get rid of that whole HDMI-CEC and ARC crap. And just use a dedicated 4K Netflix/Prime streamer...

profile.country.GB.title
markjgoddard
Explorer

I'm glad I found this thread...I bought the 1080 a couple of weeks ago and the sound is great but operationally, it's been driving me absolutely mad.

It will continually turn itself back on after turning off.  

I've disconnected all HDMI sources until I'm left with this setup:

Samsung series 7 SMART TV

Connected via ARC to HDMI Out A on the 1080 (from HDMI 4, the ARC HDMI output of the Samsung).

It will also occasionally randomly change from 'TV' to 'VIDEO 2' even though nothing is connected to VIDEO 2.

I've got the following options set as I want to be able to turn off the television and the receiver together as well as get the sound from the TV coming through the amp:

'control for HDMI' = ON

Standby = ON

eARC = ON

Standby Through = Off

Audio Out = AMP

I'm having to turn it off at the plug to make sure it stays off.  Hopefully Sony will reply/issue a fix or it's going back to the shop after Christmas.  Really poor.

Interested in anyone has cracked how to fix this...

profile.country.GB.title
mrkielbasa

Well I’m wondering is it down to TV manufacturer update that’s causing the power issue and not specifically the 1080 because my Samsung TV is set to auto update and my 1080 isn’t. Though I’m sure i would have seen an on screen notification  if the TV had been updated. 

Samsung firmware update on my 6 series was 27/11/2018

profile.country.GB.title
BombPAC

@pr0phecy wrote:

Although I have a workable-ish workaround for that Home pop-up issue, I'm seriously considering to just don't use the Netflix/Amazon Prime apps on my LG TV anymore and therefore get rid of that whole HDMI-CEC and ARC crap. And just use a dedicated 4K Netflix/Prime streamer...

I also tried this 5-second delay workaround with the Harmony remote, but it wasn't 100% effective - I even tried 15 seconds at one point, but the Home screen still appeared randomly now and again - plus the amp was very slow to switch inputs.

The only solution for me was to use a dedicated streamer. Then you don't have to worry about any of these HDMI control related issues reported in this thread. The other advantage with using a dedicated streamer is additional apps and regular device updates. I'm actually quite pleased that this issue prompted me to buy an Apple TV device - I'm really enjoying the quality of the image and sound you get from it, and I can also use the Infuse app to play movies I have stored in MKV format from a NAS drive, plus have access to 4k movies from iTunes.