Join now - be part of our community!

STR-1080 audio sync issues

profile.country.GB.title
grolschie
Contributor

STR-1080 audio sync issues

Hello. I have been having problems with both HDMI ARC and Optical from my 2013 Panasonic Viera E6 into the Sony STR-DN1080.

I notice while watching TV or the TV's Netflix app, the audio can do out of sync (very noticeably behind the video). It's goes badly out of sync when watching Dolby Digital content, especially after pausing/rewinding.

I have also had problems with audio dropouts on both HDMI ARC and Optical when watching Dolby Digital content on TV or the TV's Netflix app.

I never had such problems with my old Onkyo non-HDMI AVR via optical.

Anyone else?

8 REPLIES 8
profile.country.GB.title
Mick_D

Hi grolschie, welcome to the Sony Community :slight_smile:

It's possible the STR-1080 is set up for multi-room speakers, which would cause out-of-sync audio.

Have a look at this online help guide. If the above isn't the cause of the synch issue, you may find another solution in the guide. 

Cheers

Mick

profile.country.GB.title
grolschie
Contributor

Thank you. However, "M/R Sync" is greyed out, so I presume Zone B is disabled.

The audio is out of sync only under certain circumstances e.g. using the TV's Netflix app to play Dolby Digital content and skipping backwards/rewinding. Sync is not immediately out when I first start watching Dolby Digital content, but something, possibly interrupting the bitstream, seems to confuse the AVR.

profile.country.GB.title
mwSUFC
New

Was there any resolution to this issue?

I am having exactly the same issue, mainly noticable when watching Netflix on TV, via HMDI ARC, and pause/rewind definitely compound the issue.

profile.country.GB.title
grolschie
Contributor

I gave up on HDMI ARC and use optical. There's a slight delay, but only a little noticeable.

profile.country.GB.title
feline1

I am also getting pretty awful and unreliable audio sync with my STR-DN1080, particular when watching discs on connected BluRay or UHD players.

The 'AV Sync' menu, which allows you to make adjustments in 10ms jumps, in one direction, isn't much help, and the 'HDMI Auto' option is useless. 

Any suggestions?

profile.country.GB.title
mirrormurr

Can also confirm sync-issues, particularly when using chromecast casting Youtube-videos and sometimes also Netflix-content. Pause and fast forward intermittently solves the problem, but the problem randomly reappears.

ianmar888
New

Hi. Did you find a resolution to the lag issue. I have same problem with mouths speaking/moving out of time with audio. Driving me mad. Tried all sorts but can’t seem to find a way. I have arc hdmi from lg oled c8 tv to avr. Blu-ray into avr. Same problem. Apple TV into avr. Same problem. Fire cube into avr. Same problem. Lg TVs own apps Amazon and Netflix. Same issue. 🤯 

profile.country.GB.title
feline1

I have found I get much better sync if I use my television as the HDMI 'hub' (with my players and STR-1080 connected to the TV via HDMI, the STR-1080 using the e-ARC HDMI port).

If I do it the other way (ie with the STR-1080 as the 'hub', with the TV and player connected to it), the audio sync is terrible.

I've no idea why this is, and the Sony documentation gives no advice on it.