Join now - be part of our community!

Annoying wireless switch utility. Help please.

RoseTyler
Visitor

Annoying wireless switch utility. Help please.

I have a VGN-FZ21E. I have created an administrator account and a user account without administrator rights for everyday use as recommended. Every time I log onto the everyday account (i.e. most of the time) a box from the wireless switch utility (the one to choose 2.4GHz or 5GHz) asking for permission to continue appears, and this I have to cancel everytime. I don't need the utility anyway and am annoyed having to do this each time. Also, I don't want to delete it altogether. Does anyone know how I can disable the utility from starting up automatically?

12 REPLIES 12
profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi Rose Tyler,

welcome to Club Vaio.. :slight_smile:

Double click on Computer, then Local Disk (C:)

Then double click on Program Files, followed by Sony.

Finally double click on Wireless Switch Setting Utility.

Right click on Switcher.exe and select Properties.

In the Properties window select the Compatibility tab.

In the Privilege section place a tick in the box next to Run this program as an administrator

click Apply then OK.

LyndaW
Visitor

I have the same problem on my new VGN-SZ5XWN/C. I've tried the suggestion posted by Thalamus, but the "Run as Administrator" option is grayed out. I tried right-clicking on the file and selecting the "Run as Administrator" option that way, but it made no difference to the problem. Any further advice please, as it really is an annoying problem?

RoseTyler
Visitor

Thanks, Thalamus. However, as with LyndaW in this thread, I couldn't solve the problem this way. I'm still looking for a way to fix it. Probably best will be some way of not getting the utility to start at all at start up since I don't need it anyway.

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi Rose,

not sure if this will work..

Login using an Administrator account then as before.

Double click on Computer, then Local Disk (C:)

Then double click on Program Files, followed by Sony.

Finally double click on Wireless Switch Setting Utility.

Right click on Switcher.exe and select Properties.

In the Properties window select the Security tab

Select edit and click Continue on the User Account Control window.

Highlight Users and place a tick in full control, then click apply

Does that stop the User Account prompt.?

RoseTyler
Visitor

I thought this would definately do the trick. Looked really promising. Changed the settings, restarted....... no change! Aye, aye, aye! Thanks anyway for your help.

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi Rose,

This WILL stop the wireless Switch Utility from running when you start your Vaio.. :slight_smile:

Click Start, click All Programs, click Accessories, click System Tools then click Task Scheduler..

Click Continue on the User Account Control window.

In task scheduler window you should see three sections, Overview of Task Scheduler, then below this Task Status and finally at the bottom Active tasks..

In task scheduler go to the bottom section of the centre column (called active tasks)

Double click WSSU and in the new window, on the right hand column, click on Disable...

In the future should you wish the Wireless switch utility to run again complete the above and when you have Double clicked WSSU in the new window, on the right hand column, click on Enable

Then either click on Run (further up the list of commands) or restart your Vaio.. :slight_smile:

LyndaW
Visitor

Yes!! Thank you, Thalamus! Like Rose I don't anticipate ever using the utility, so it's great not to have the annoyance of it any more! I've made a note of your fix however just in case I ever need to reverse it.

Thanks again for taking the trouble to help us newbies.

RoseTyler
Visitor

Thalamus, you are so right! That worked just fine. No more wireless switch utility at startup. Thank you very much for your help, most appreciated. And a mention for you to e-support in a minute when I close my open case (they haven't been able to sort it yet).

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Yes!! Thank you, Thalamus!  Like Rose I don't anticipate ever using the utility, so it's great not to have the annoyance of it any more!  I've made a note of your fix however just in case I ever need to reverse it.

Thanks again for taking the trouble to help us newbies.

You're welcome LyndaW.. :slight_smile: