Join now - be part of our community!

FZ11S - some keys not working

profile.country.PL.title
wojkucha
New

FZ11S - some keys not working

Hello to all.

I got really annoying problem with my fs11z and i'll try to describe it as much as i can.

My laptop is 1 month old and ive never had a problem with it. Yesterday during typing i noticed that few of keys stopped working - not all keyboard but only about 5 keys.
I bought external keyboard and everything works fine on that keyboard. I could send laptop for repair but i dont have time for it right now so im searching for quicker solution (if possible).

Few things that ive noticed:
- the keys are ok mechanically. Ive played with it more and some time later the other keys stopped work, while the previews that wasn't working - work fine,
- keys that arent working sometimes work if im pressing some other keys before them. For example "j" will work if i press "f" before it. But that also changes - j can start work fine and some other keys stop working.
- It also works like that in bios/dos/knoppix so its not problem with windows

It looks like a problem of a controller but i was assured that the same chip also controlls external keyboard - which works fine - so im little confused.

Im hoping that meybe somebody here had a same problem.

Cheers,
Wojciech Kucha

5 REPLIES 5
profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi wojciech.kucha,

welcome to Club Vaio.. :slight_smile:

Do you have Number lock enabled.?

Press the NumLk key once, do your keys work correctly now.?

profile.country.PL.title
wojkucha
New

Hi,

Its not the numlock problem. K, L and other keys function with no problem.

Best Regards,
Wojciech Kucha

carloscerros
Visitor

Hi wojciech.kucha,

Check in the BIOS in security => type a password with letters which are NOK.
If it types => SW issue (Full Recovery in factory settings) and try again.
If it does not type => HW issue (maybe contacts on KB NOK) and it's covered if unit in warranty.

Repair takes around 5-10 working days (KB repair takes normally less then 1 day so in the same week you could receive your unit back)

profile.country.PL.title
wojkucha
New

Already tried that - see first post.

Its strange that keyboard actually works sometimes so i just wondered.

Thanks,
Wojciech Kucha

carloscerros
Visitor

Hi wojciech.kucha,

I recommend you to contact Sony by phone or eSupport and open an ID case if issue becomes worst so they have a trace of your issue.