Join now - be part of our community!

FZ31Z 64 bit Graphics Driver

Karlo206
Visitor

FZ31Z 64 bit Graphics Driver

Anyone have an idea where I can aquire beta drivers for the FZ31Z for Vista 64 bit or when it is going to be released?

I've tried to use the drivers for FZ21Z however I already 'have up to date drivers for my device'.

If I didn't have 14 MB's worth of graphics from the standard graphics display I could continue using the laptop, but currently even my Virtual PC's struggle.

I appreciate Sony does not officially support Vista 64 bit, however as they have release the 64 bit beta drivers for the FZ21Z I would have assumed they could do the same for the newly released FZ31Z. This is possibly where other competitors that support 64 bit Vista with all their new laptop releases are superior to Sony. As I've purchased a laptop with 4 GB Ram (as sold by Sony) on a OS (32 Vista) that does not recognize all 4GB of Ram, surely they could cater for 64 bit?

Anyway, any help appreciated.

Thanks,

Karlo

5 REPLIES 5
Karlo206
Visitor

Ok, so support didn't provide any additional information other than that they don't support anything not originally provided with the laptop and that I'd need to contact my software provider... which is Microsoft or Nvidia.

As Nvidia do produce 64 bit graphics card drivers for Vista and my specific graphics card, one would think I'm in luck. Alas no, Sony need to modify NVidea's drivers specifically for their laptops. I would really appreciate some idea of whether I should revert back to Vista 32 bit and wait for 6 months before 64 bit drivers become available or whether I should 'hang in there' for another two weeks before the drivers become available.

Could it be that the budget was blown on blasting those Vaio signs on every 2nd advertising board at the UEFA Champ league instead of hiring a couple more developers?

Karlo206
Visitor

I gave up.

Uninstalled 64 bit Vista and re-installed 32 bit Vista Home...I'll wait 6 months for Sony to support 64 bit (fingers crossed). I can live with 3GB memory for now...

Still can't install the graphics card however. I have a standard windows PnP graphics card that gives me a 1/10 score for Graphics in the Windows Experience Index. Try to dload and install the preconfigured software for FZ31Z graphics card driver, though it is claimed I already have the most up to date driver for my system. No specific Nvidia drivers available for download, will not try NVidia directly and raise a support call. Hopefully by Wed I'll have a working sys.

Karlo206
Visitor

When it rains...

Still can't install my graphics driver (as downloaded from the Sony site). Contacted support directly but something as trival as resolving a graphics driver problem is never actually going to be supported.

In the latest series of incredibly painfull events, now my Install of Vista Home Premium 32 bit is considered a

'3rd party operating system' and thus cannot be supported.

Clearly I'm not dealing with that friendly goatee support person at the top right of this site because in this case there are no smiling people. My system came SHIPPED with Vista Home Premium 32 bit, so apparently what Sony means by '3rd party operating system', is anything you install yourself.

Of course this means that the only way Sony will support a 64 bit operating system is if they themselves install it :laughing:

Somewhat stunned to be honest..

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi Karlo,

Installing the Graphics driver should not be a problem - which driver have you downloaded and how have you tried to install it?

Check if your Recovery Partition is intact - if so, this will allow you to reinstall the original Sony OEM Vista OS from your hard disc: -

Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Computer Management -> Disc Management

What partitions do you have?

:thinking:

Karlo206
Visitor

Hi Blencogo,

Yes there is in deed light at the end of the tunnel.

After having to face the possibility of purchasing the recovery disks to re-install the OS, or send my model in for repairs (as installing 64 bit Windows apparently could have damaged my graphics card), as a last ditch effort to get my Vaio working, I decided to re-download the grahics card drivers...

On the 17th March, the correct graphics card drivers (this time 54MB instead of 14MB) were released on the web site for the FZ31Z. The support person that helped me unfortunitely did not notice this when dealing with my case. Blind luck, divine intervention... no idea, but the correct drivers have now at least been released on the site.

Help appreciated though.

Thanks,

Karlo :smileygrin: