Join now - be part of our community!

FZ31Z Windows XP

ian4c
Visitor

FZ31Z Windows XP

I having been buying Sonly notebooks for a few years. My last the FZ11Z has been fine with the exception that it is running Vista.

I am absoutly fed up with the slow running Vista. I know it's slow because I have another computer, less memory, smaller processor. Yet it is blazingly fast.

To day I telephoned sales. I would like to purchase a FZ31Z but I would like to run it on Windows XP please. NO can do! It really pisses me off. What's the matter with Sony. Why can I not run XP as my choice. I was told though, if i ordered a business model I could run XP as well. But no business model had a BD drive!

I asked sales if people request XP on their Vaio's. All the time I was told. So why don't the people in the know, who, can make decisions, make a decission and allow customers to run XP if they wish.

Over many years I have been buying everything Sony. A friend, also a Sony customer has for the first time ordered and specified his laptop from Dell and Windows XP and Vista on the same computer. Looks like for the first time I am going to jump ship. And I do wonder how many more will do the same.

May be their is a way around this. I am told by sales that they (Sony) won't provide drivers for the FZ31Z. Perhaps somebody here has the answer?

Ian

2 REPLIES 2
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi Ian,

Drivers are usually available as Sony provides these for a downgrade to XP for the business versions of the FZ like the FZ19 and the FZ29.

However, Sony does not provide Utilities which means a lot of the Vaio's features will not work (Power Management, Screen Brightness, Fn Keys etc)

You may find this link of interest: -

http://www.sony-asia.com/subtype/usefulinfo/asset/216869?site=hp_en_AP_i

Both Drivers and Applications (Utilities) appear to be available - don't know if they all work though!!!!!

:wink:

ian4c
Visitor

Hello Blenacogo

I have found the real reason for slow Vista performance on my FZ11Z

Last week Sony collected my FZ31Z as it had developed a fault with the back light. Collected and returned in 4 days!

To continue. The FZ arrived back and because I had been using an XP computer which seem so fast in comparison I got very frustrated and decided to go for the FZ31Z. hence my call to sales to ask for XP.

Over a period of time I have been disappointed with the performance of the FZ and I have just found out the cause of my problem!

The left click button has a fault. Clicking is very intermittent. It means that when I click on a file more often than not it does not connect and requires a second or third click. This has given the impression of a very slow Vista computer.

I have found that clicking only on the very right side of the left click button ensures perfect contact. This has made a great difference.

It means I will need to speak to Sony Vaio service to get it fixed. Sony Service had noted there was wear on the left click button last week but it was not in for this intermittent problem.

By the way, I can not fault the Vaio Repair Service. Over the years I have had the odd problem and I have to say the Sony Service is second to none)

Kind regards

Ian.