Join now - be part of our community!

Left click and touch-tap not working, touchpad moving seems to work.

SOLVED
profile.country.ro_RO.title
d3xt3r01.tk
Visitor

Left click and touch-tap not working, touchpad moving seems to work.

Hey people....

I have a problem .. after less than 3 days of purchasing a sony vaio vpcf13m1e the left click ( hardware button ) stopped working, so did the left click of the touchpad ( software/driver button ) .. right click is ok .. moving the mouse using the touchpad is ok .. so is the scroll up/down left/right ...

Like the manual said I did create the restore disks when I got it home ( it was the first thing I did ). Tried using those ( it formated everything .. that's ok I guess ) and still .. the problem remains .. If not even the copy they restore doesn't make it work .. I guess I should go back to the store .. any other ideas ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

It sounds like a hardware or a wiring fault and it will need a repair - so I would return it to the seller and ask for them to give you a replacement.

:slight_frown:

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

It sounds like a hardware or a wiring fault and it will need a repair - so I would return it to the seller and ask for them to give you a replacement.

:slight_frown:

d3xt3r01.tk
Visitor

that's what I thought .. and I think I'll call the support service tomorrow to see what they say ..

profile.country.nl_BE.title
kidawesome
Visitor

I've actually had the exact same thing happen to me just now.

I'm using a vpc-f13z1e, and got it/started using it 7 days ago.

When I woke up my VAIO from sleep today, the left button and touchpad tap didn't seem to work any more. (An externally plugged in mouse, works fine though.)

I tried rebooting, removing the battery, blowing under the button (in case some dirt got lodged there). But non of that worked. So I also started to fear Hardware malfunction.

However, in the end I managed to get it working again. So if you haven't done so already, perhaps try my steps below. It might prove helpful.

This is what I did:

1. Press the "Windows"-key or click on the start button and search for "Device Manager" (the name can vary based on what language you've installed your operating system.)
  2. Go to the section titled "Mice and other pointing devices" and expand it.
  3. Select, what most likely will be called "Alps Pointing-device", and right-click to select "Properties"
  4. Go to the second tab in this new pane, and select REmove (or Delete) to remove the Driver.
  5. Windows will ask you to restart in order for the changes to take effect, so simply reboot.
  6. After rebooting, you'll notice it still doesn't work, but that's ok. If you go back into the Device Manager, you should notice that the "Alps Pointing-device" has been replaced with the label "PS/2 Mouse". That's ok.
  7. Next up, hit the "ASSIST"-button on your keyboard, and the "VAIO Care" program should start up. (I'm running VAIO Care 6.3)
  8. Go to the second last option in the list, called "Repair" or "Recover". (Sorry I can't be specific about the label, I'm not running a English version myself). It should be the last item above "Contact Sony" with a green badge icon.
  9. Select the second option on the left, which should yield 3 options to the right. On the right you need to select the first option: "Reinstall Applications and Drivers" (or a label similar to that). Should be an icon of a CD in a box, with a green arrow.
  10. When the next dialogue box opens, hit "Next". On the following screen, scroll down to "Pointing Driver (Alps)", select it and continue.
  11. After installing the driver again, Windows will again ask you to reboot, so feel free to do so.
  12. After booting back up, the touchpad should be working normally again. Atleast that was the case for me.

I really hope this works for you too, and that it isn't a hardware malfunction. ;(

profile.country.en_GB.title
youly95
Visitor

Hey

I have exactly the same problem.I tried to do what you said, but when i get to step 10, I can't find the 'Pointing Driver(Alps)" in the drivers list.Any idea?

d3xt3r01.tk
Visitor

I sent it to service since I only got mine like one week earlier .. they replaced it.

youly95
Visitor

This might be a problem. My uncle has bought it from the US and sent it to me in Romania, so i can't really send it to the service,can I? :thinking:

profile.country.sv_SE.title
Radar_Radar
Visitor

Exactly same problem here! Sony Vaio VCPF13Z1E, less than 1 month old.

Touch Tap and left click button dead, the rest seems to work,

Must thus be a quality problem with the touchpads?

Tried re-installing the driver, both by download and through the "Assist" button and "Vaio Care", but no success...

I really don't want to hand the computer in as I just spent at least a work-week getting it ready with all the program installs.

Anyone got an idea, much appreciated?!

Cheers, Radar

ashwinpai21
Visitor

Here's what i did. My Vaio runs Windows 7,

1. Uninstall  the mouse driver under Device Manager in My Computer or just search Device Manager under the Start Button

2. Windows will automatically ask you to restart you computer, if not restart it yourself

3. After restart, the leftclick and the touch tap work fine.

Hope it helps

Regards

npymm57
Visitor

I had exactly the same problem after 2 weeks of use; tried reinstalling the drivers and online support tried the same thing but no joy.

Had to return it the shop for a replacement it turned out to be a hardware fault.