Join now - be part of our community!

touchpad ribbon - VGN-A215Z

mark.wood20
Visitor

touchpad ribbon - VGN-A215Z

Got a bit of a problem.
Decided today to open up my VGN-A215Z, wanted to look at the possibility of upgrading memory and fitting a new hard drive, unfortunately I could find not instructions on the internet for opening up this model.
So carefully I went for trying it myself.
got the keyboard off, the realised to get further you had to also remove the bit around the keyboard (ie. the whole top) had some difficulty with removing this, could not seem to get it to lift at the back, unfortunately during this attempt I realised a ribbon cable had snapped, after the initial shock and horror a closer inspection revealed it to be the ribbon cable to the touchpad, not wanting to have anymore mishaps I refitted everything, booted up, all ok except touchpad now inoperative, not a major problem as I always use a cordless mouse anyway, but wondered about getting it sorted, cant seem to find many spares for this model, would still really like to install a new harddrive and maybe replace that ribbon cable, does anyone know where i can get:
A harddrive (what spec etc. etc)
The touchpad ribbon cable.
Also does anyone know exactly how the thing comes apart in order to replace the harddrive.
Just one more:
If I do replace the harddrive, will the recovery discs I made when the vaio was new get the thing up and running to as new condition again.
Regards
Mark

1 REPLY 1
carloscerros
Visitor

Hi mark.wood20,

I will recommend you to have a look here:

http://www.nexttronics.com/reference/sony/a51ps1/ext-A51PS1.htm

Just ensure the part number of your ribbon you accidentally snapped.