Join now - be part of our community!

anti-virus

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
tommysmith1980
Visitor

anti-virus

just a quick one, does my tablet need an anti-virus program?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi tommysmith1980.

I suppose the correct answer is that anything that connects to the internet needs protection.

Up to now, the relatively low numbers of devices compared to PCs and the low level of confidential transactions on tablets has meant that the bad guys (aka the hackers) have paid little attention to phones and tablets.  Also, Apps have been traditionally downloaded from an Apps Store which adds to the protection.

However, as the number of Tablets being used for internet access and in particular online banking increase, so will they become an increased target for hackers.

I guess only a small proportion of tablet owners actually have antiVirus installed at this time.  This is probably because most users think they don't need it.  At this stage I admit that I don't have any AV on my Tablet S.  OK, I don't use it for anything sensitive but I think the time may be fast approaching when we all need it!

There are some good free programs available.  I can't recommend one but I personally am looking at AVG Mobile Free and Lookout Mobile Free.

What is everyone else using?

:thinking:

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi tommysmith1980.

I suppose the correct answer is that anything that connects to the internet needs protection.

Up to now, the relatively low numbers of devices compared to PCs and the low level of confidential transactions on tablets has meant that the bad guys (aka the hackers) have paid little attention to phones and tablets.  Also, Apps have been traditionally downloaded from an Apps Store which adds to the protection.

However, as the number of Tablets being used for internet access and in particular online banking increase, so will they become an increased target for hackers.

I guess only a small proportion of tablet owners actually have antiVirus installed at this time.  This is probably because most users think they don't need it.  At this stage I admit that I don't have any AV on my Tablet S.  OK, I don't use it for anything sensitive but I think the time may be fast approaching when we all need it!

There are some good free programs available.  I can't recommend one but I personally am looking at AVG Mobile Free and Lookout Mobile Free.

What is everyone else using?

:thinking:

profile.country.en_GB.title
klauzser
Visitor

Everything needs protection, but I only see a few anti-virus available for tablets or devices related to it. Also, bad guys are called crackers, not hackers.

profile.country.en_IE.title
vidapura
Visitor

Android app markets (market, getjar, etc etc)  have been less controlled than iphone or windows phone app markets.. so it was ineitable that badness would creep in.

But I'd be more worried about apps that swipe your data or personal info than apps that would damage the o/s. Really, you should read carefully what permissions an app asks for before installing it. Whay a game would want access to you contacts list ? For example...

Article worth reading on this is:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/221213/keep_malware_off_your_android_phone_5_quick_tips.html

Google had to resort to implementing Google Bouncer to scan the market to get rid of malicious apps.

Read about it here: http://mashable.com/2012/02/03/google-bouncer-for-android/

So, its good sense to have Something keeping an eye on things.

I'm using Lookout on my mobile.. gonna see if it can install on the tablet.

https://www.mylookout.com/

Not just for Antivirus though.. Lookout also helps you locate the device if its stolen.. wipes it of personal data if you want etc etc..

Seeing as we are in an age where we can track our stuff when creeps steal it.. then why not do it?

I also have Prey installed on my laptops... its open source and free...

http://preyproject.com/

HTH

Vida

profile.country.fr_BE.title
bennybuche
New

Even if I don't know if it's efficient, I installed aVast (free)... We never know for sure :wink: