Join now - be part of our community!

Battery draining - worse battery life than phone.

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
EddT86
Visitor

Battery draining - worse battery life than phone.

Hi

Is anyone else having issues with a worse than expected battery life? I had bought a tablet S to use when on the move as my iPhone can't really handle a day off hard use - e.g. watching films, internet.

The problem is is that my tablet dies faster than my iphone.

Example - Sat evening I took my phone and tablet off charge at roughly the same time, left the iPhone on overnight, turned the tablet off overnight, had both on all day, i.e. either using or on standyby and the tablet died last night whereas my phone still had about 20% battery left - despite being left on over night. Plus I actually used my phone to browse the internet and twitter far more than I did the tablet!

Yesterday useage on the tablet was about 2 hours of use (internet browsing) and the rest standby - when on standby the wifi is turned off. The phone in comparison had far more use plus is a phone so always has a connection, was used for calls and texts.

So summary - iPhone on for over 24hours, used more, had battery left, Tablet turned off at night, used lightly and died.

This morning - tablet turned on and left on standby (wifi to turn off on standby) and in 2 hours of not being used it lost 14% battery. This is terrible!!

Clearly something in the background is draining the battery even when on standby - any ideas?.

It also takes literally hours to charge from zero to full - which is pathetic.

So any ideas? If it is just the tablet then I am going to have to return it and switch to a competitor as it honestly isnt functional as a tablet with such poor battery life, which would be a shame as I think it is a very nice piece of kit.

Thanks

Ed

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.nl_NL.title
breedBenR

Have you inspected:

Settings - Applications - Battery use?

For me, from full charged to 58% charged in 11h 18 m.
50% from Tablet Idle, 40% screen, 7% Android OS, 2% WWW browser.

Either you have something heavy running all the time (like a game showing its icon in the taskbar?)
and you can solve by 'Force Closing' it in the native Application manager [ Settings ].

Or you have a faulty battery, and should contact for a replacement/fix.

"It also takes literally hours to charge from zero to full - which is pathetic." this would be a signals something is wrong with the battery, it should not take more than ~2 hours to charge from near zero to full (with the tablet standby).

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
profile.country.nl_NL.title
breedBenR

Have you inspected:

Settings - Applications - Battery use?

For me, from full charged to 58% charged in 11h 18 m.
50% from Tablet Idle, 40% screen, 7% Android OS, 2% WWW browser.

Either you have something heavy running all the time (like a game showing its icon in the taskbar?)
and you can solve by 'Force Closing' it in the native Application manager [ Settings ].

Or you have a faulty battery, and should contact for a replacement/fix.

"It also takes literally hours to charge from zero to full - which is pathetic." this would be a signals something is wrong with the battery, it should not take more than ~2 hours to charge from near zero to full (with the tablet standby).

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

In addition to breedBenR's suggestions, if you have Bluetooth enabled this will drain the battery more quickly.

Rich.

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
EddT86
Visitor

Thanks for the replies, I charged it from 6% battery today and it took over 4 hours to get to fully charged (on standby).

From the above post this does not seem to be the norm, can anyone else confirm that it should take just a couple of hours?

The battery again ran down in a day yesterday with average useage so I think their seems to be a battery issue.

There are no games running, the apps that appear at start up are all the native ones, with the exception of sky news which i force closed.

Bluetooth is also off.

Is there a way to stop apps from running at start up e.g. Crackle and Skype?

Any other ideas or suggestions?

Thanks

Ed

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

I know that I read somewhere that the tablet takes up to 5hrs to charge from empty. I can’t find that now but the following link would tend to confirm this.

http://www.zdnet.co.uk/reviews/mobile-internet-devices/2011/09/26/sony-tablet-s-40094025/

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
rdorian1
Visitor

Uninstall the Sony Account Manager thats needed for the Playstation Store, it stops the CPU from going into deep sleep. Hopefully they will fix the problem soon.