Join now - be part of our community!

Can't connect new Sony Tablet to BT Home Hub

profile.country.GB.title
marashfo

Can't connect new Sony Tablet to BT Home Hub

Hi guys,
Just bought a Sony Tablet but cannot for the life of me get it to connect to my BT home Hub router.

When I scan for Wireless routers, my router signal strength shows up as 'excellent'.
I enter the WEP key and it tries to connect.

The tablet then says: -

"Obtaining IP address"
"Not in range"
"Disabled, secured with WPA/WPA2 PSK"

No matter how many times I delete the connection, enter the WEP key carefully, the same thing happens.

I've tried: -

Resetting the Tablet (Both soft and hard reset)
Completely resetting the BT home hub to factory default
Removing all the security on the BT Homehub as a test to see if it's a key issue
Changing the channel on the router from 'Smart' to every channel from 1 to 11
Turning off every other wireless device in the house

Even when I try to connect when I'm in the office, 2 foot from the route, still nothing!
The annoying thing is that when I first switched it on and entered the router key it connected for about 5 minutes and gave me web access. Then, in the wireless panel it kept on flashing very quickly between : -
"Out of range" and "Disabled, secured with WPA/WPA2 PSK"
If anyone can offer any words of wisdom I'd be very, very grateful. I've spent an entire Saturday trying to get it to connect - driving me mad ;-(

Thanks
3 REPLIES 3
profile.country.GB.title
amillionbytes
New

Oh and in the words of someone mad:

:NEVER

::LEAVE

:::YOUR

::::MAGIC

:::::WIND

::::::OPEN

I.e. never leave your WiFi without security turned on.

Even if that's the only way you can get your tab to connect.

profile.country.GB.title
amillionbytes
New

There's another post a little lower down with a guy who had wifi connection issues, but to a different wireless router.  He got a replacement; check below to see what happened!

https://www.sony.co.uk/discussions/message/696891#696891

To check  strength and stability of WiFi signal getting to your tablet use Wifi Analyzer:

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.farproc.wifi.analyzer&hl=en

... assuming you can install it with some kind of web connection ... haha! :smileymischief:

I'd suggest that as a very first step, you turn off wireless security: if you can't connect but other devices *can*, you know it's a tab issue.  If it does work, step up to WPA 1.  Then if that works, you can try WPA2, and if that works, you owe me cake.

I have issues with WPA2 between manufacturer's devices more often than not... so I have finger's crossed that it's just that.

profile.country.en_GB.title
Watashiwateshdes
Contributor

I also have the same Home Hub (new black one?) and not has any problems other than when I lose Internet to the whole house which is annoying. Left my WEP enabled and no problems in connection.

Have you tried any other wifi spots? It might just be a possibility an issue with the Tablet if it fails to connect anywhere else.