Join now - be part of our community!

Help...how to....local files >4gb

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
mpattenden
New

Help...how to....local files >4gb

OK people....

So loving the tablet but I have a dilema I want to be able to play my .mkv files locally. I can access them from my NAS they are generally 7-8GB I can use MX Player to play them. So here's the thing I don't want to copy them to the tablet local storage but am happy to take a usb drive or SD card.

BUT they're over 4GB so I can't put them on my FAT32 SD card - to get round this I could convert to NTFS but I read android doesn't read NTFS. To test this I got an OTG cable (great value and works http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190577827569&ssPageName=ADME:L:OC:GB:1123) to plug an external HDD into but it doesn't recognise the drive or thinks it's blank - it's not. I tried a USB stick as well - that was FAT32 and this worked.

SO my question is how do I do this - are there any Anroid geeks who know how to get round this easily - I'm completely new to Android but figure there must be a way because I can read the files on my NAS!

All help greatly appreciated :wink:

Regards

Padster

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Sorry Padster.

I think you can guess the answer as you have not received any replies.

It is not possible to transfer a file larger than 4GB onto a FAT32 SD card or USB Drive.  This is the maximum file size under this format.

You can get file splitting and restitching software to break any file into 4GB sections to be able to transfer a file onto a FAT32 external drive but I don't think these sections will play direct from the external device.

:thinking:

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
mpattenden
New

Bumping to see if anyone replies please?

mpattenden
New

Still hoping someone can help please :thinking:

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Sorry Padster.

I think you can guess the answer as you have not received any replies.

It is not possible to transfer a file larger than 4GB onto a FAT32 SD card or USB Drive.  This is the maximum file size under this format.

You can get file splitting and restitching software to break any file into 4GB sections to be able to transfer a file onto a FAT32 external drive but I don't think these sections will play direct from the external device.

:thinking:

mpattenden
New

Blencogo,

That's my point I can read the files on my nas but not on attached storage - that seems to have to be FAT32 - I was thinking surely there must be someway round this as my nas isn't FAT32

The trouble is I'm not familiar with Android - it's very infuriating especially as streaming large mkv over wireless is almost unwatchable and it would make it easier to take movies away with me and not need wi-fi.

I appreciate you taking time to respond though.

Anyone else have any ideas?

Padster

profile.country.GB.title
amillionbytes
New

I had a quick look for tools to split MKVs for ya but I couldn't see any that would just make to MKVs out of one of them, so at least you could create a playlist out of the two of them somehow... I think you're scuppered to be honest...

Sounds like your only way out is to re-encode to get you down to 2-3GB.  I have seen some settings that might get you there and produce really good results, but obviously I've never used them because this is a Sony forum...