Join now - be part of our community!

Tethering to Ad-Hoc WiFi network

profile.country.en_GB.title
alglais
New

Tethering to Ad-Hoc WiFi network

Hi,

Don't know if anyone has managed this yet as it seems to be a limitation of android at the moment that they won't see ad-hoc networks.

Seems the hardware supports it but its turned off in the software.

I've got Joiku Hotspot on my N8 and I desperately want to be able to use it to tether my Tablet S to get internet when I'm on the move but!!!

The N8 doesn't support Infrastructure mode at present and android won't allow you to see ad-hoc networks without "rooting" your android OS.

Quite honestly I don't know what's involved with "rooting" your Android OS but it sounds involved and I'm concerned about doing it to my brand new tablet.

So two questions

1)     Has anyone managed to tether their Tablet to an ad-hoc wifi network

2)     Did you have to root it and if so how did you do this?

Ta :slight_smile:

4 REPLIES 4
profile.country.fr_BE.title
bennybuche
New

Up...

I have the same phone and I use the same software (works fine with my Vaio laptop :smileyconfused:). I also read it would be possible by "rooting" the tablet but (read it about Xoom tablet) but I don't want to ta that "risk"...

Did anyone ever succeed?

Is ther any further devlopment for this by Sony?

Thanks...

sheepp
Visitor

I'm Also having problems tethering my tablet P to my Nexus S even though my Windows 7 laptop can connect

profile.country.GB.title
sehuxle

I managed to tether my tablet S to my HTC Desire. Needed to amend some setting on the HTC but works great.

alglais
New

Hi the HTC is an android device tho so in my understanding it will generate an infrastructure wi-fi hotspot.

The problem is that while most android tablets hardware, and I believe the S is included,  will support infrastructure networks its disabled in the android OS meaning to allow the tablet to see it you have to root your OS

Frankly at a only a month or so old I'm a little wary of doing this just so I can get interned access from my phone.

I just wish they'd update the OS on android to allow it to see ad-hoc.

If they won't then I guess its time for me to leave nokia behind