Join now - be part of our community!

Throwing to Samsung smart tv

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
chongsta.uk
Explorer

Throwing to Samsung smart tv

My Sont Tablet S manages to find my 7 series "allshare" enabled TV but gives an error stating it is not connected to a media server.

I use windows media player to stream from a laptop with no issue and without it being connected to a server.

The only reason I bought this tablet over the iPad was for this built in feature - really disappointed if I cannot get it to work!

Tags (2)
32 REPLIES 32
mpattenden
New

Hi all,

I will try and get round to testing the files put up by wata.

I want to say though that the wi-fi direct thing must be a red herring. As mentioned I have been able to throw pics and music but no vids and I have a totally different set-up - so I'll clarify...

• I'm using my old Samsung LCD non internet TV to display.
  • I'm throwing to my media player which is hooked up to the telly (via HDMI)
  • My media player is a HiMedia600b.
  • It has wi-fi but it's turned off, it's connected to my network via a cable (better performance if I stream from my NAS on the same switch).
  • I'm throwing from my tablet via wifi on the same network.

Regards

Paddy

profile.country.nl_NL.title
breedBenR

Are you guys running the native app? I think its video only works with 2011 sony players, because of their codec of choice. too bad for video you record with the tablet. I wonder what codec Sony Entertainment network when up will use.

Or are you using a DLNA server app from the market? for me that worked fine, except for the codec trouble. i'm expecting some conversion app for on the tablet to pop up. 3rd party first and then Sony could too. android operating system is a funny one community wise. It is to early to tell.

Watashiwateshdes
Contributor

SEN so far for video its limited to playback on the device only so no throw options which is bit of a shame however their download and buffer rates are great. From movie I downloaded, they using an AVC Main profile video codec but in a MNV file format. Not one I have come across.

Still waiting to hear feedback on Sumsung/older Sony Bravia users on the above formats. The older Sony DLNA Bravia's only did Pictures and Music so I expect a firm no on those but the year after, think later 2009/2010 models had video DLNA so should accept push content from the Tablet.

Message was edited by: Watashiwateshdes

Message was edited by: Watashiwateshdes

profile.country.pt_PT.title
Silver-Eye
Visitor

Hey, i have a serie 7 samsung from 2010, connect by a ethernet cable..

just install this 2 apps from the market, and u can send everything without problems from your tablet:

- Mx Video Player

- BubbleUPnP

chongsta.uk
Explorer

Thanks for these great suggestions of alternative apps. Where is the functionality in the MXvideo player that replicates the throwing option?

Love that they play straight from my SD card.... saves that little bit of time instead of going to the file manager 🙂

chongsta.uk
Explorer

Thank you so much for putting these up. I have not had chance to grab these from a laptop yet and thought there might be a way to save from the tablet directly. Not quite at that stage yet.

I tried throwing an mp4 I was watching but I got the same error - "The player may not be registered with the media server. Check settings on the media server and try again"

I will look to find alternative apps which izs a shame because I really do like the Sony designed apps when they work and for the girlie reason that they all match so it makes the apps look tidy!

profile.country.nl_NL.title
breedBenR

bubbleupnp is for the throwing to the tv.

mxvideo player is for playing on the tablet.

matempl67
Visitor

Glad you guys are having some luck with the video - I still beleive our Sony models do not play MPEG4 files, as per the Sony Store's analysis.

Fortunately I know someone who is on the launch team of the tablet, and asked her about an app that could convert MPEG4 to MPEG2, so the video recorded on the tablet could be Thrown to older model TVs. She said Sony would not be releasing anything, and doubted anyone else would either as the processing needed for this was quite high. Now, I have no idea if its difficult to convert MPEG4 to MPEG2, but it looks like a new TV might be needed in the January sales...

Max

chongsta.uk
Explorer

I just a deal that Currys (UK retailer) had on... first 100 people to buy a Sony tablet got a Bravia 32" tv for free!

Maybe they knew these issues where potentially going to happen

chongsta.uk
Explorer

@Watashiwateshdes  You are a star, the sony video works.... please do tell me what these means as the other mp4 didnt work.

I'm super excited!

Message was edited by: chongsta.uk

Message was edited by: chongsta.uk