Join now - be part of our community!

Throwing to Samsung smart tv

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
chongsta.uk
Explorer

Throwing to Samsung smart tv

My Sont Tablet S manages to find my 7 series "allshare" enabled TV but gives an error stating it is not connected to a media server.

I use windows media player to stream from a laptop with no issue and without it being connected to a server.

The only reason I bought this tablet over the iPad was for this built in feature - really disappointed if I cannot get it to work!

Tags (2)
32 REPLIES 32
Watashiwateshdes
Contributor

Fantastic, we are moving in the right direction then! Now the bad news, I am away for the next few days and leaving the laptop at home so I can not break down a tutorial on how I did it and the codecs until Monday but what you could try in the mean time, you caan try using Handbrake. From memory, it was just a standard AVC format.

Did both the working download links work? If so then it should be easier. I will pop up a step by step for conversion. Thanks for getting back. I have a Tablet but no DLNA throw devices so glad something worked.

chongsta.uk
Explorer

Thank you so much!

In the past me and handbrake havent really gotr along but I will give it another go. I have been using DVDfab.

Of the links y/ou offered only the sony one worked unfortunately. I was hoping it would be both mp4s but I was also trying with my ripped mp4s and nothing so your worldly guidance okn the right codecs would be sooo much appreciated.

Thank you for your help so far.

Watashiwateshdes
Contributor

Yeah Handbrake can be a bit too much at times. I can never remember the correct profile to use for each of my devices and finding the right one for the Tablet is getting quite tricky.

Even if one out of the two AVC profiles works then atleast we know that it isn't any kind of wifi direct malarky that is where the snag is. I will update the link for the mts file again but I have a feeling most TV's won't support it so might just focus on Sony AVC instead. I just need to remember what program as a native can do it in the same profile as what I created. I am back home on Sunday so I will maybe drop you a message when I have an update.

profile.country.GB.title
amillionbytes
New

DLNA is a mare at the best of times...  At least the Tablet's interface is pretty :dizzy:

I have a blog post about it if anyone's bored enough to take a look:

http://amillionbytes.wordpress.com/2011/03/29/my-digital-media-home-how-difficult-can-it-be/

Message was edited by: amillionbytes

Message was edited by: amillionbytes

@2470508501018042
Visitor

just want to clear up some of this as some posts on here are misleading.

You DO NOT need wifi direct to throw.

to throw video you need:

* devices to be connected to the same router

* device needs to be a dlna renderer that can render mpeg4

* dlna renderer options much be turned on

* tablet must be set to on in the devices renderer settings

J

Watashiwateshdes
Contributor

Sorry all. Still working on the formats. Just been swamped even in my free time. Not forgotten about this.

chongsta.uk
Explorer

Hi Watashiwateshdes,

Thanks for looking into this. I too have been swamped and have just checked back to say Thank you and if you figure out the magic format I'd be eternally grateful! :slight_smile:

profile.country.GB.title
amillionbytes
New

Does this help?  This is the list of formats that the Samsung 9-series can play over DLNA.

http://amillionbytes.files.wordpress.com/2011/03/image_thumb11.png?w=504&h=404

Just to add, I've had problems with DLNA recently; I can't play some of videos recorded by a Nokia that play fine on my tablet that do appear in the format list above; I get "permissions" errors...

Watashiwateshdes
Contributor

That list is great but the biggest pain is then marrying those file formats to the ones the Tablet can handle natively which is where the problem seems to be. Throw won't work without a supported file format but then cannot throw if the TV does not support. From the small clips I posted, it does work so we know that there are no issues in operation between the two brands, now just finding that balance. If only someone would lend me a Samsung TV hehe.

@chongsta.uk

Thanks, nearly there so if I get a chance this weekend, should have a breakdown.

Watashiwateshdes
Contributor

OK so the Samsung users, here is a breakdown of the settings I used in the conversion.

Audio: 128 Kbps, 48,000 Hz, 32 Bit, Stereo, AAC
Video: 25 fps, 1280x720 Progressive, YUV, 6 Mbps
Pixel Aspect Ratio: 1.000

AVC video format on a Baseline profile (*.mp4)

Now having a program to match these specs is going to be the tricky thing since most likely when searching for converters, you get a million results from companies claiming theirs is the best and what not. Since conversion takes donkeys years to do, I just gave one a go, once installed, it came up as Tipard Video Converter and sadly for the honour of full use, you will need to pay but can try it before buying.

I have uploaded another clip onto my site, http://www.clarity-rebirth.co.uk/teshidrift.mp4 which can be downloaded which does currently work on my Tablet so should run fine on everyone elses and im hoping it SHOULD still play back on a Samsung TV.

If you want to use the Tipard Video Converter, I used the PS3 setting H.264 HD Video(720p). 1080p did not work plus throwing that high a res to your TV via wifi I can assume will cause poor performance.

In theory, you could just use any video conversion program that can convert to a "PS3" standard AVCHD/MP4/H.264 format and run fine.

If there is anything I have missed, let me know or better still since it is easier to keep track, drop me a message.

Mitesh