Join now - be part of our community!

Why is the internal storage split up?

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
smellyonion
New

Why is the internal storage split up?

Apparently it has 9 gb as internal and like 5gb as usb? If I use a file manager where do I find the usb storage? Why is it spit up?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Watashiwateshdes
Contributor

It is been a real mystery for a long time until I did a bit of digging around so hopefully this makes a bit of sense.

Android devices are split into two parts, Internal Storage and Internal Storage USB (or SD). The total of this should equate to the 16GB. Bearing in mind that you will never get the exact 16GB reading due to hidding system files etc same as any other device.

The Internal Storage is where the core applications/operating systems are held. The majority of these are non removable but sadly have no reason why. The Internal Storage USB is where other programs and files can be stored such as music, photos, videos, roms, games etc which you can move between either memory banks. Some people report that it can help improve performance but I have yet to see any difference.

Using ES File Explorer, it defaults to the SD/Internal Storage USB where the optional applications are stored. For some reason, other explorers may do this is that it does not allow you to access the core Internal Storage.

As for the reason, well it may be something logical such as ensuring performance is maintained more efficiently but it is definately something that confused me to start with.

Hope that helps.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Watashiwateshdes
Contributor

It is been a real mystery for a long time until I did a bit of digging around so hopefully this makes a bit of sense.

Android devices are split into two parts, Internal Storage and Internal Storage USB (or SD). The total of this should equate to the 16GB. Bearing in mind that you will never get the exact 16GB reading due to hidding system files etc same as any other device.

The Internal Storage is where the core applications/operating systems are held. The majority of these are non removable but sadly have no reason why. The Internal Storage USB is where other programs and files can be stored such as music, photos, videos, roms, games etc which you can move between either memory banks. Some people report that it can help improve performance but I have yet to see any difference.

Using ES File Explorer, it defaults to the SD/Internal Storage USB where the optional applications are stored. For some reason, other explorers may do this is that it does not allow you to access the core Internal Storage.

As for the reason, well it may be something logical such as ensuring performance is maintained more efficiently but it is definately something that confused me to start with.

Hope that helps.

thecoulson
Visitor

Hi,

Approx 5 Gb is reserved for the Android OS and Apps that you download.

The remainder can be used any way you want. You should see the sd card when connected to a PC. The sd card-space you can use will have folders named things like Music and Video.

File Manager HD is a great free app for navigating your Internal SD Card, which is known as /sdcard

If you add another SD card into the available slot, you can navigate to this by going up a level from /sdcard, and you should see /sdcard2 in the list of folders.

Hope this helps.

smellyonion
New

cheers thanks for that.