Join now - be part of our community!

Sony: Fix the Sony camera firmware updater for Mac Monterey

profile.country.GB.title
iacuthb55
Explorer

Sony: Fix the Sony camera firmware updater for Mac Monterey

It's unbelievable that Sony camera users can't update their camera firmware using a Mac running macOS 12 (Monterey). It's also unbelievable just how bad the firmware update process is.

I just spent an hour and a half trying to update the firmware in an A6400 using my MacBook Pro M1 Pro running macOS 12, which was released five months ago. In order even to get the updater to run, I had to follow and Byzantine procedure of different update files and folders and then change pre-boot security settings on my Mac. Only to discover at the end that Sony's firmware updaters don't even support macOS 12.

The update process for Mac, even if you're not running macOS 12, is just appalling. It's like something from the 1980s. I'd hazzard a guess that a majority of professional and likely also enthusiast photographers use Macs. It's so easy to design a firmware update system that a 10 year old could use - take a look at Nikon, Canon, Fujifilm or pretty much any other manufacturer for examples of how to do it.

PLEASE, please, please Sony, sort this out.

2 REPLIES 2
profile.country.GB.title
Hadi.bahar

My dear friend, I also have a lot of complaints about the manager of Sony Mobile software, but I do not know the policy of Sony, which has many bugs when it launches a new product and they become the best after three months, for example, Xperia 1 took poor photos that had just been released, but I now 

Hadisonyxperia1
profile.country.GB.title
Hadi.bahar

But now with Xperia 1 I beat iPhone and any phone in photography with manual settings, I already have Xperia Pro and many bugs, I'm sure to surprise Rudi

Hadisonyxperia1