Join now - be part of our community!

XH9505 dark corners

profile.country.GB.title
iany1954

XH9505 dark corners

In June 2019 I purchased a KD-XG9005 with extended warranty. In October 2019 the tv developed a fault (what appeared to be small bits of debris behind the screen front). This was exchanged but in October 2020 the second tv developed the same fault. Sony replaced this with a KD-49XH9505. This produces a great picture but I am now super critical. With solid backgrounds the corners are dark (I believe worse than the previous tv). The photo shows the XH9505 with a solid grey picture. It’s not normally noticeable but is distracting to me. Sony claim that this is normal and not a manufacturing defect. Am I being over critical?

EEE2005B-E5C7-433D-91FE-2700D2B2AF25.jpeg

5 REPLIES 5
profile.country.DE.title
Peter_S.
Genius

Hi,

In a certain amount this is indeed normal. Point is, that especially in corners there could be a slight pressure on the screen that causes such effects. But as you said, usually it's not noticeable when watching content on the TV.

Cheers

Peter

profile.country.GB.title
jezzafisher
Explorer

I've got an XH90 / X900H (from an old Panasonic plasma which was flawless) - i have exactly the same dark(er) corners as you do. After too much googling and seeing reviewers on youtube with similar, i decided it's normal.

Also looks like you have great uniformity other than that, so i'd be happy.

profile.country.GB.title
Harveee
Explorer

I have the same and it's hard to not look for it when you know it's there! however, I have had three TVs from sony in the past year two 75 inch 9005's and now this one and ALL of them had this dark corner issue.

It is a real shame as the picture is stunning! and the 9505 is vastly superior to my two 9005's that both had dirty screen effect during panning shots and numerous other sound and random restart issues. 

So try and concentrate on the centre of the screen and you will learn not to gravitate towards the corners on light backgrounds when you know they will be visable. The only other option if it really bugs you is to switch to oled .

profile.country.GB.title
iany1954

I’m now used to it and it doesn’t affect my viewing experience. It’s not too bad really and only shows with solid light backgrounds. The picture is really good and better than the 9005 that it replaced. Also not had a recurrence of the small dark areas (dust?) that caused the 9005 to be replaced. Overall it’s a great tv and will be staying for a while.

profile.country.GB.title
HannahEd01
Community Team