AV Receiver Sound from TV Speakers

SOLVED
profile.country.GB.title
RealSpiggott
Explorer

AV Receiver Sound from TV Speakers

Hi I have the following devices connected via HDMI ARC:

Sony STR-DH540 AV Receiver

Sony Bravia 2011 32" TV (I think it is this model KDL-32BX320)

I currently do not have any external speakers and so in the mean time I am attempting to get the AV receiver to send all the audio output to the TV to play though it's internal speakers and be controlled b y the AV receiver.

I can get the sound to come out of the TV speakers if I set the TV sound output to 'TV speakers' as opposed to 'audio system'. This works fine for by Sony PS3 and Roku streaming device but not for my separate Bluetooth receiver (connected through the CD phono ports). If I set the the TV to 'audio system' I can control the volume and music mode with the AV receiver remote and the changes display on the TV screen but no actual sound is emitted from the TV speakers. 

Is it possible to do this with the devices I have?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
Mchaggis69

"Secondly, if possible I would like the AV receiver to treat the TV speakers as it would any other speakers."

cant be done (I dont think).

Its either AVR and the speakers its attached to, or the TV speakers. Not both at the same time.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
profile.country.GB.title
Mchaggis69

Not sure i fully understand.

The option to route audio to TV Speakers does exactly that and is for users without an external audio system such as an AV receiver or soundbar.

The option to route audio to an ‘Audio Device’ quite correctly turns off the TV speakers. 

Simply put, don’t select ‘Audio Device’ if you want sound to come out of the TV speakers!

profile.country.GB.title
RealSpiggott
Explorer

Thanks that does clarify things.

My goal is to control the volume of the TV speakers using the AV receiver remote. Secondly, if possible I would like the AV receiver to treat the TV speakers as it would any other speakers.

Thanks

profile.country.GB.title
Mchaggis69

"Secondly, if possible I would like the AV receiver to treat the TV speakers as it would any other speakers."

cant be done (I dont think).

Its either AVR and the speakers its attached to, or the TV speakers. Not both at the same time.

profile.country.GB.title
RealSpiggott
Explorer

Thanks for the clarification.