Join now - be part of our community!

BT TV Pro box

profile.country.GB.title
Graydee
Explorer

BT TV Pro box

I Have just upgraded my BT Tv package and they sent me a new PRO box When I connect to my Sony AV Receiver (STR-DN1080) I only get sound from the front L&R speakers the sub even powers down as it is receiving no signal. Allother equipment connected to receiver plays in surround sound but not this new box. BT sent a engineer who could not get it working so they sent another engineer with a second box and that was the same. I have tried with a different HDMI cable and in different ports but still the same. My receiver is set for multi channel and I did alter it to Dolby but that made no difference. One thing I did notice is when I restarted the receiver it had gone back to multi channel is this a default?

Is there any way you can see what is being sent to the receiver by logging into a engineer mode?

The surround sound work ok on the previous BT box so I would think there is a software problem

Has nanyone else experienced this?

11 REPLIES 11
profile.country.GB.title
HannahEd01
Community Team

Hey Graydee, is your TV by any chance Sony?

Tod555
New

I have a BT Pro and a DN1080 too, and this is so frustrating. 

The  BT Pro box forces Dolby Digital 5.1 + on the amp when it is in surround mode no matter whether the channel is just stereo or 5.1 surround.  If it is only stereo it only goes to 2 speakers, left and right.  The problem is the Pro box is sending a 5.1 signal for stereo so the amp does not make a surround mix, it just thinks the centre and surround speakers are just not being used.

If you want the amp to do a surround mix you have  to turn the pro box to stereo and not surround for stereo channels - normally a set top box would change to a stereo PCM mix itself on stereo channels, then the amp could do what it normally does and do a mix (like the old BT box did!).  This is a BT Problem I think.  Hopefully they will release a software update to sort this.