Ghost in the machines

Hi, 

I'm getting power issues with the following equipment:

TV: Lg 55uf860v

Blu ray: Sony uhp-h1

Amp: Sony str dn860

Freeview recorder: humax DTR-T2000

Issue is:

Seemingly at random, either the blu ray, amp or Freeview box will not turn on from standby. Only power off/on at wall will fix.

Connections:

Blu-ray player...

(hdmi to TV) + (hdmi to amp for audio) plan is to flick between audio separation mode for movies/SACD etc and "normal" mode so that a dvd can be watched on TV without having to turn amp on.

Freeview box...

Hdmi to TV

TV...

As mentioned above with additional optical out to amp for when movies are played either live on TV or recorded on Freeview box in 5.1 audio.

I've looked at all the settings for hdmi and turned off braviasync and lg equiv also "standby through" in case that was effecting things.

They are all connected to internet via ethernet.

Freeview box has been fine for ages, as has the blu ray. Seems to be when I introduced the amp into equation.

Before I had another older Sony str dn2400es setup the same with av separation permanently on the blu ray as the old amp didn't pass through 3d to tv

Anyone had similar issues?

Thanks

Charlie

4 REPLIES 4
profile.country.DE.title
Peter_S.
Genius

Hi Charlie,

Hard to say what's causing the issue.

Could be a communication issue between the devices.

I would suggest to disconnect all devices and attach them one after the other to find out the device that's causing the issue.

Cheers

Peter

profile.country.GB.title
Charliedingo
Explorer

Hi Peter.   

Thanks for the reply.

I've changed the hdmi lead now from humax box to TV and so far so good.

The old lead was a second hand one from my brother I think, it came with a sky box.

If all goes well I'll swap back and see if fault comes back.

Bit strange for that one cable to affect the other devices. Perhaps some kind of feedback or earth fault on lead.

Not had any "protect" message pop up so at least not a power issue.

Will see how it goes and report back for future reference.

profile.country.GB.title
Charliedingo
Explorer

So fault came back.

Sorry this will be a bit rambly but I find it's best to have all the info and as much detail to help

Will try removing hdmi lead from humax to TV and use a scart lead in mean time. 

Making notes now as to what happens.

This time the amp wouldn't come on. Was wanting to play something through Spotify which normally wakes up the amp over network.

Had to power off at wall then back on.

Then later in Eve went to watch something on humax and that was off.

This time I'd moved the humax box a bit just checking if a woble to hdmi lead might fix it.

Went to turn off at wall but it started waking up.

I did a bit more googling and found some info on humax forums.

Seems there could be an issue with cec compatibility.

The link below suggests an adaptor to solve it.

Something else I noticed when flicking through settings was that auto standby was set to 4 hours on the humax box.

I wonder if on this occasion that the box had only gone to sleep and that by moving it (inadvertently touched a touch sensitive button on front) or pressing buttons on remote woke it up after a bit of lag.

And because of hdmi issue, had caused the amp to freeze up?

https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/home-cinema-projectors-players/htxt1-soundbase-bravia-sync-arc-funct...

profile.country.GB.title
Charliedingo
Explorer

Think I've sussed it.

Before swapping the hdmi for scart, I left it as was to see if theres a pattern.

This time, box went into auto standby.

A bit later went to turn amp on and it had frozen, wouldn't start.

This time I noticed that when I reset amp at wall, the humax went dead.

Tried moving humax box, touching front etc to get it to turn on as it did before. Nothing.

Went to reset humax at wall and noticed as I moved the plug slightly, it came to life before being switched.

Gave it another wobble and could see white light coming on and off as I was doing it.

Moved plug to another socket and it was fine.

Has been ok for a while now.

Conclusion:

Faulty extension lead causing humax box to intermittently lose power.

Must be done kind of feedback through hdmi though to cause issue with amp/blu ray but not TV 🤷