Join now - be part of our community!

Sony UBP-X800 issues with a Super Audio CD

SOLVED
profile.country.GB.title
Blumine1818

Sony UBP-X800 issues with a Super Audio CD

A new SACD that I bought plays back in complete silence. No music.IMG20211025215958.jpg

This is the display.

20 REPLIES 20
profile.country.GB.title
Blumine1818

Good morning everyone.

Please take a look at this thread.

I have an issue with SACD.

Does my UBP-X800 have a fault?

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown2
Hero

@Blumine1818 

A CD, or even an SACD played in PCM, will be unlikely to trouble your rear speakers, unless you select some artificial sound processing on the soundbar.

My favourite bedtime reading is a Sony product manual…
profile.country.GB.title
HannahEd01
Community Team

Hey Blumine1818, If you tried all the steps and still not working try contacting Sony, the details here: https://services.sony.co.uk/supportmvc/en/contact?cpint=spt-footer_contact

profile.country.GB.title
Sonyvores
Contributor

SACD digital output either in DSD or converted into PCM are very restricted by a copy protection signal. Only AV receivers has the chip to allow the sound to pass by. If I'm not wrong also a few TV also has it. 

But that's why you can't hear anythign from your disc if you're using a TV or even a soundbar.

profile.country.GB.title
Blumine1818

Thank you for this. It's annoying though!

profile.country.GB.title
Blumine1818

Thank you.!

profile.country.GB.title
Blumine1818

You were absolutely right. Thank you.

I had this from Sony support -  "We can confirm that the HDMI IN 1/2 jacks do not support audio format that contains copy protections, such as Super Audio CD or DVD-Audio".

I have been toying with upgrading my 4k player for a while now and this has probably decided things for me.

Hmm, maybe the Panasonic UB820.....?

profile.country.GB.title
Sonyvores
Contributor

this protection is mendatory via HDMI output, so will be the same with Panasonic. But the later has analog out, and you will have "analog" SACD sound through those RCA connector to a receiver

profile.country.GB.title
Mikeaubert
Explorer

So let me get this right;

I have purchased and legitimately own music on SACD etc, but Sony wont let me listen to it.

*****?!

Perhaps its time to move to another manufacturer.

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown2
Hero

@Mikeaubert 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Audio_CD

SACD players are not permitted to offer an output carrying an unencrypted stream of DSD.[54]

So nobody’s SACD player is going to work to deliver DSD unless paired with an SACD-certified AV unit or amplifier.

And indeed, lots of devices wouldn’t even handle DSD, let alone encrypted DSD.

You’d think that Sony would offer some other output format, though, wouldn’t you, either analogue or a lesser digital one? Maybe other manufacturers at least do that?

My favourite bedtime reading is a Sony product manual…