Join now - be part of our community!

ar61m and vista home

pb21
Visitor

ar61m and vista home

Hi I just bought this and upgraded the memory to 4gb but vista only shows 3070. will this laptop take the vista 64 bit upgrade or do i have to get the full 64 bit retail to use 4gb ram?

also i lost the screw to the memory cover anyone know where i can get a replacement?

regards

7 REPLIES 7
H0RUS
Visitor

Hello,

To the full 4 GB to be able to use it, you will need a Windows Vista64 whether the upgrade version, or as normal as the vista 32bit not supported 4 gb

H0RUS

profile.country.pt_PT.title
V57...
Contributor

Hi pb21,

But there is a problem with Sony support for Windows 64-bit, see here...

http://www.vaio-link.com/os/vista/64bit/

JonnyThunder
Visitor

As said, Vista 32 bit has a maximum memory usage of 3mb. personally, i'd stick with 32 bit and put up with the loss of 1gb.

Better still, downgrade to XP and have a REALLY fast PC! :laughing:

squashme
Visitor

Sony do say in the specs of there laptops that you wont get 4GB >>>>> 2 GB DDR2-667 SDRAM (2 x 1024 MB - No free slot available), maximum 4 GB DDR2-667 SDRAM - in the case of 4GB, a portion of the system memory over 3GB might not be available to the operating system <<< thats what they say in all there laptop specs.

squashme
Visitor

its not really a major problem so dont worry about it its completely normal :slight_smile:

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi I just bought this and upgraded the memory to 4gb but vista only shows 3070. will this laptop take the vista 64 bit upgrade or do i have to get the full 64 bit retail to use 4gb ram?

Hi pb21

The 32 bit version of Vista can only handle a maximum of 4GB of RAM..

The reason that the maximum 4GB of RAM is not shown is due to Vista allocating RAM to devices such as graphics cards etc..

However if you have installed matching 2GB memory modules your Vaio will benefit from the performance advantages offered by dual-channel support.. :wink:

also i lost the screw to the memory cover anyone know where i can get a replacement?

I've asked if Sony can send you one.. :slight_smile:

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi pb21,

I'm hoping someone from Sony should be in contact soon.. :wink:

Please check your registration contact details are correct (click here )..