Join now - be part of our community!

games and graphics cards...

Mhaw
Visitor

games and graphics cards...

Hi all,

I recently bought a Sony Vaio laptop with an Nvidia Geforce 8400M GT graphics GPU, which on the website claims to be a 512MB card, yet it seems to struggle with fairly simple games! I can barely run FIFA 08 and that only wants 128 MB. I good specs across the rest of the system so I think the graphics card is the problem. has anyone come across this before and are there any solutions or drivers/updates that could solve this problem?

Thanks guys (and girls)!

1 REPLY 1
icedbullet
Visitor

I feel your pain. My vaio came with a NVIDIA GeForce Go7600 (128mb) which runs most games at medium to high settings. I was looking for driver updates for this too, the NVIDIA website refers me to sony as it is a sony specific gpu i guess. I have a VGN-AR11M. There are no recommended graphics driver updates for this, but when i go to somewhere like driveragent.com it recommends an update to the driver (which i cant find anywhere).

I have heard of an external graphics unit in development from asus (which should have been out last year) specifically for problems like ours. Because the graphics card is soldered to the motherboard we cant upgrade it, so they we developing an external unit (with a GeForce 9000 series card - which again is fully upgradeable i think) that goes through the pci slot on the notebook. I havent heard any recent news on it though.

Everything on this vaio is great...except the graphics card.