Join now - be part of our community!

Can you replace the battery on a tablet?

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
Julian1977
Visitor

Can you replace the battery on a tablet?

As you can imagine the battery will not last for ever, so at some point it will need to be replaced.

Can it be replaced just like a laptop battery or will this also be the end of the tablet's life?

Apologies if this has been discussed already, please provide a link if you can.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi Julian1977 and welcome.

Batteries for the Tablet can be replaced at the end of their life.

As with most other tablets, the battery in the Tablet S should be replaceded at a Sony Service Centre. 

However, you can buy and change the battery in a Tablet P yourself.

http://www.sony.co.uk/product/other-sony-tablet-accessories/sgp-bp01

:wink:

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi Julian1977 and welcome.

Batteries for the Tablet can be replaced at the end of their life.

As with most other tablets, the battery in the Tablet S should be replaceded at a Sony Service Centre. 

However, you can buy and change the battery in a Tablet P yourself.

http://www.sony.co.uk/product/other-sony-tablet-accessories/sgp-bp01

:wink:

praed0r
Visitor

Hi Julian,

Have a look here -

slashgear.com/sony-tablet-s-teardown-reveals-unique-hardware-21181738/

may be useful to you

(only if the tab's out of warranty of course.)

Julian1977
Visitor

Thanks guys,

I will not attempt to open the tablet as I do not have enough skills to do it and very happy to take it to Sony when the battery need a replacement, glad to know this is possible. Anyone knows how long the battery life is estimated to be? Of course, this depends on the usage, etc. I would probably use mine around 2 hours a day.

Cheers.

nikkilim
Visitor

Agreed on that. Chances are, if you open it and something broke, it will be tagged as CIC(Customer Induced Damage) and this will void the warranty (if applicable).

Good luck. http://imagicon.info/cat/12-13/vbulletin-smile.gif

Watashiwateshdes
Contributor

Anyone's guess could be best guess here to be honest. The difficultly these days with the design of batteries is trying to quantify lifespan since the tasks and power requirements that they undergo vary from user to user, ap to ap etc.

If I look at mine, im looking at 8 to 17/18 hours of use on a single charge which is pretty sweet but trying to see when those times are reduced is tricky since the Tablet is always doing something in the background. I would say that a lifespan of 12-18 months would be a nice span for me if it was constant use but knowing me, by then I would have already bought something else so the concern of replacing a battery would not be a priority for me.

Its so difficult trying to establish on a general scale on a acceptable battery life span. I dont know, others may thing a lifespan of 18 months may be too short for a battery to decrease.

Message was edited by: Watashiwateshdes

Message was edited by: Watashiwateshdes