Join now - be part of our community!

connecting to wifi

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
truffled
Visitor

connecting to wifi

Please can anyone help.

I bought my new 32gb tablet today, but I cannot connect it to my netgear router. It recognizes the router but also says 'secured with wpa/wpa2 psk.

Have tried many times to connect with password but nothing.

Am so disappointed, cant do anything without that internet connection.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
monkeywash
Visitor

Just bought mine today too and connected straight away to a Netgear router.

Things to check:

1. Obviously check you're using the right WPA password! Log onto the router and go to "Setup/Wireless Settings" to check the password at the bottom of the page.

2. Check the router has DHCP enabled - look in "Advanced/LAN Setup" and check "Use Router as DHCP Server" is checked.

View solution in original post

omar_g@ap64
Visitor

Hi All,

Wi-Fi stability and connectivity was updated with the recent Sony Tablet update to Android 3.2

To check if you're running Android 3.2 tap:

Apps/Settings/About Tablet and look for "Android  Version".

If you have problems connecting to Wi-Fi, try:

• Tap Apps/Settings/Wireless & Networks
  • Tap your wireless network and select "Forget"
  • Reboot your tablet using the power button
  • Try to conenct to your network again

That should solve the problem long enough to run the update.

To update, tap:

Apps/Settings/About Tablet/System Update

Omar

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
monkeywash
Visitor

Just bought mine today too and connected straight away to a Netgear router.

Things to check:

1. Obviously check you're using the right WPA password! Log onto the router and go to "Setup/Wireless Settings" to check the password at the bottom of the page.

2. Check the router has DHCP enabled - look in "Advanced/LAN Setup" and check "Use Router as DHCP Server" is checked.

bernardmalcolm
Visitor

The  32g tablet received today will also not connect to internet. It recognises the DGN2200 as an excellent connection but just will not connect. I have Bravia TV, Blu-ray player, 2 internet radios ,lap top and  a WDTV player all of which connected without a problem so I am not inexperienced at connecting other devices. Exremely dissapointed as without the internet it is just an expensive media player. 

Message was edited by: bernardmalcolm

Message was edited by: bernardmalcolm

bernardmalcolm
Visitor

Have been into Sony at Preston first thing this morning. The young man who attended to me tried to connect the tablet to their internet with the same result as myself. However he then used the re-set pin and that has cleared the problem. Got home and connected on line strait away. Thanks to the team at Preston for their help specially the person who dealt with the problem.

Ligoku
Visitor

i have just tried to reset it at home with a pin it didnt work, can it only be done by the people at the sony stores?

slk55tim
Visitor

Had the same issue. Would not connect to WPA2 on my Netgear Router. Dropped the router back to WPA and all is well. Connects fine and holds connection very well. Would rather have WPA2 set on the router but have mac address filtering set up so shouldnt be any issues with hacking.

Would like it fixed though as dont want to re-set as have just set it all up !!

omar_g@ap64
Visitor

Hi All,

Wi-Fi stability and connectivity was updated with the recent Sony Tablet update to Android 3.2

To check if you're running Android 3.2 tap:

Apps/Settings/About Tablet and look for "Android  Version".

If you have problems connecting to Wi-Fi, try:

• Tap Apps/Settings/Wireless & Networks
  • Tap your wireless network and select "Forget"
  • Reboot your tablet using the power button
  • Try to conenct to your network again

That should solve the problem long enough to run the update.

To update, tap:

Apps/Settings/About Tablet/System Update

Omar

SonyState
Visitor

Sorry if my question is really stupid but I am on my second day of trying to get on the internet. I chose this tablet because I have a Sony TV and blue ray player. The tablet gets part of the way in the test but then keeps  saying that it is trying to obtain the IP address.  Is it that one has to have a wireless router?  Mine is wired into my PC box. I see that it is 3.1 despite having followed your update instruction Omar but I am supposing that is only done after getting on the internet.

If I need a new router which one should I choose.

profile.country.tr_TR.title
orhantoker
Visitor

Hello Omar,

I did your instructions step by step. It works good for first day and repeats same error after a few days. Could you please answer us is it a HW problem or SW? If it is a software problem I can wait. If not please take your tablets back...

IanIreland
New

Since I told my tablet to forget my home WiFi and then reconnected, it has connected perfectly every time!