Join now - be part of our community!

Does the Tablet S work for left-handed users?

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
nadjau
Visitor

Does the Tablet S work for left-handed users?

The Tablet S is wedge-shaped so it can be held comfortably in one hand; I'd imagine this has been optimised for right-handed people.  Will left-handed users have any problems, or will they have to become "right-handed" to use this product?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi nadjau,

Yes, the Tablet S works fine for both left and right-handed users.  The screen orientates to be the right way up whichever hand you hold it in.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi nadjau,

Yes, the Tablet S works fine for both left and right-handed users.  The screen orientates to be the right way up whichever hand you hold it in.

Watashiwateshdes
Contributor

As mentioned, it works in any orientation. As a left handed user myself, it works to my advantage since most of the option sections are on the left and so are the menu/recent application buttons as they are all in the bottom left. Being left handed myself, I was wary but actually enjoyed it more than my iPad

Talking about applications via third party, that will vary depending on what you want to do but in theory, should be the same as any other tablet.

Message was edited by: Watashiwateshdes

Message was edited by: Watashiwateshdes

nadjau
Visitor

Thanks for the quick replies. My interest continues; the next stage is to see one "in the flesh"!

profile.country.no_NO.title
Torstein
Visitor

Hi

What I've seen so far, is thet it actually works better for left-handed users (holding portrait mode, with the thick side with right hand).

In fact Sony's app for PSN only works (for me) upside down in portrait mode. Shazam (wich I cannot get to work) also starts off with the setup screen only in portrait mode, and "upside down" when holding the tablet in left hand on the "thick side" ...

I've also seen confusion i more apps (ex XBMC official remote) wich is a little of both.

So I don't know if it is the tablet, or the apps that is to blame (maybe someone with other tablets at hand can confirm if these programs works in mulitple orientations ?)

br

Torstein

Richy_S
Visitor

Hi Nadjau,

Another left hander here .... We’ve struck gold with the Sony Tab.  Most devices in the wider world are either right handed or neutral at best.   The asymmetric design of the wedge shape favours left handed use, in my opinion.

Also the centre of gravity gives the impression that the tab is lighter than it really is.  I was using an Apple Ipad minutes before buying my Tab S and was shocked at how un-ergonomic and heavy it felt in comparison.

There’s only one way to know for sure and that’s to get down to your local store and try it.

My local Sony centre had a unit without the security wire/chain and allowed me to walk around the store with it for about 20mins.  Great service from the Exeter Sony centre  - I’m now a Sony convert and a very happy left handed owner/user of the Tab S.  Thanks guys :slight_smile:

which_enduro
New

was about to start a thread on this but found this one already exists.

i agree with the comments, it does seem odd that some apps which don't support auto rotation favour holding the tablet in the right hand. hopefully when ics arives, this issue will be fixed?

mpattenden
New

Guys,

Just in case you didn't know there is also Orientation Switch App that will force any orientation you want - including having 'reverse landscape'.

hth

Padster

hugomp3
Visitor

Actually it is better for left handers. I have installed a number of portrait only maps that are upside down if you hold in left hand. Should be able to override this.