Join now - be part of our community!

Download issue

profile.country.GB.title
sahunte22
New

Download issue

Since installing the latest update on my tablet, it won't open any downloads, be they pdf, docx or exe. It was trying to open them in Reader but kept saying file not found, so I deleted Reader. Now it does nothing. Does anyone have a solution please, I'm desperate. Thanks in anticipation.

Message was edited by: sahunte22

Tags (1)
4 REPLIES 4
profile.country.nl_NL.title
breedBenR

is this from within the email app?

to open attachments, you first have to download them (in the email app)

you the have to Save them, which places them in your Downloads directory and flashes a popup in the tray in the lowerright corner

you then can open them, if you have apps installed that can deal with the fileformat, such as pdf reader, from the tray or by browsing with a file manager

the email app is NOT good in passing the file open info correctly to other apps. this is a bug as far as i can judge

profile.country.GB.title
sahunte22
New

The downloads are from the internet eg bus timetable in pdf format from Stagecoach website. I also downloaded the skype exe file.  I did receive a Word document (docx) via a Hotmail/Outlook email.

The downloads go into a Download shortcut on my screen.  No popup flashes up in a tray in the lower-right corner!  When I click on the Download shortcut, it lists the downloads I have from Current, Last 7 days to Last month.

It is when I try to open these downloads that nothing happens!

Regards,  Sandra

profile.country.nl_NL.title
breedBenR

.exe files is software for a pc/laptop, and no good for an Android Tablet. If you want to install skype on tablet: go to Google Play and download the app there.

to open some file that you downloaded, you need to have an app installed that can open that file type.

you have to reinstall a reader app (that from Sony or the one from Adobe) for your pdf opening.

you should use the Google Play app (= the market) to get the pdf reader app.

.docx files you can open with e.g ThinkFree Write app - after you have installed that.

to delete files no longer wanted files from the download directory, install a File Manager app from Google Play.

profile.country.GB.title
sahunte22
New

Thanks for your help. 

I've downloaded Adobe and  ThinkFree so can now open the downloaded pdf and doc files.

I'll try Skype and a File Manager later, from Google Play.

I'm very grateful for your help as I was pulling my hair out trying to negotiate my way through the Sony Q&A.

Regards, Sandra