Join now - be part of our community!

I am very disappointed that WIFI range seem to be only up to 10 metres from Router - anybody else found similasr problem, please ?

profile.country.en_GB.title
brcarte33
Visitor

I am very disappointed that WIFI range seem to be only up to 10 metres from Router - anybody else found similasr problem, please ?

I am so disappointed with WIFI range for my Tablet.   I can operate emails only when less than 10 metres away from the Router.   More than 10m and the signal disappears (whereas laptops can be used all over the house).   Can anybody suggest a solution, please ?

9 REPLIES 9
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi brcarte33,

I don’t have a solution but can confirm that the range is more than disappointing. Even 5 meters from my router (indoors on the same level) I lose connection. In my office, which is only 3 meters from the router (albeit in a different room) signal is very week. Taking it outdoors is even worse!

That said, I tested against an iPad Tablet this weekend and the results were very similar.

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
profile.country.CH.title
knight_lancelot
New

Hello

It would be easier to solve your problem if you gave more details about your problem like:

Which router are you using?

-> I for example use only Cisco Linksys Routers - Cisco as one of the leading Network-Company knows what connectivity means.

Which Wifi standard does your router have: Wirless B / G or N

-> in this case N would be the leading standard that supports down and upstreams up to 540 Mbit/s.

And one important thing... if your neighbourhood uses Wifi too, check if they are using the same WLAN channel with this a free Android App called Wifi Analyzer.

wifi_analyzer.jpg

If they overlap - you will most likely have connection problems.

So you should change them in your router settings - using your Router User Guide. (sorry can't give you any tipps on that one, as I don't know which router you have)

I myself use devolo Powerline Wifi adapters to fill wifi gaps. - to ease the wifi hopping I use the same wifi name and key but use different Wifi Channels to avoid interferrances.

I hope this helps a bit.

Best regards

Message was edited by: Thalamus.

brcarte33
Visitor

I have a 'Speedtouch' ST585 v6 Router (supplied by AOL)..   Where/how  do  I find if the Router has "Wireless B/G or N ?    Some individuals living nearby use WIFI but there  is not a 'Neighbourhood' WLAN system.

The point is that I havec 2 laptops (a VAIO VGN-AR51E and a Toshiba and they both have perfect WIFI connections all over the house - upstairs and downstairs.

I really do appreciate you trying to help me.

Regards

brcarte33

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi brcarte33,

Your router is Wireless B/G, but I doubt that it not being N compliant has any bearing on your problem. I have now tested the tablet on 5 different routers both G and N, in various locations, all with the same disappointing result.

Compared to my notebook, with all routers and locations, signal strength is less than half.

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

rich912 wrote:

Hi brcarte33,

I don’t have a solution but can confirm that the range is more than disappointing. Even 5 meters from my router (indoors on the same level) I lose connection. In my office, which is only 3 meters from the router (albeit in a different room) signal is very week. Taking it outdoors is even worse!

That said, I tested against an iPad Tablet this weekend and the results were very similar.

Rich

Hi Rich,

just checked my tablet's connection & at 13 meters from my router, on the same level, my wifi strength is showing mainly half but occasionally dips to quarter strength..

Sorry it's not much help for you guys..:smileysad:

profile.country.CH.title
knight_lancelot
New

Dear bcarte33

It's not unusual that mobile devices like mobile-phones and tablets have not the same wifi range as laptops have.

My vaio clearly has a wider wifi range than my Sony Tablet. (but it is also larger and about 1.2kg)

Recently I read in a different Forum that some customers also had problems regarding weak wifi with the (thomson) ST585 v6 router. -> they had it replaced by their provider.

It is also known that that router itself hasn't got the best performance.

As already recommended, if you live in a bigger house or you have thick walls - wifi isn't the best solution.

I bought myself a set of powerline adapters (one connected to the router) and the wifi adapter can be connected in every other power socket within 200m (power-line).

powerline dlan adapter.jpg

If I want to work with my laptop or my tablet outside I just bring the wifi adapter with me and plug it into the nearest power-socket. http://www.devolo.com/consumer/77_dlan-200-av-wireless-n_network-kit_application-examples_3.html?l=e...

devolo example.jpg

I hope this may help you.

good luck!

Nachricht geändert durch knight_lancelot

Nachricht geändert durch knight_lancelot

brcarte33
Visitor

Thanks for your advice - I will buy a Devolo wireless kit.

Bcarte33

saniyusuf
Visitor

Brof I See wat you guys are saying, my tablet wifi only just connects and then keeps on searching while im in uni. but at hom it seems to be not bad and work just perfect well more testing needed for now.

profile.country.CH.title
knight_lancelot
New

saniyusuf schrieb:

Brof I See wat you guys are saying, my tablet wifi only just connects and then keeps on searching while im in uni. but at hom it seems to be not bad and work just perfect well more testing needed for now.

theres a possibility that your tablet hops between access-points (AP) to get the best connection in your uni. as you maybee know the uni uses several AP with the same ssid (name of the wifi connection).

if they do not use different antenna-channels between two different AP, it is most likely that there will be interferrences between them.

or maybe there is a other problem with the network configuration on your tablet - maybe the IT-support at your uni can help to configure the connection.