Join now - be part of our community!

ICS Browser loads some mobile sites (e.g. BBC)

profile.country.en_GB.title
heavygoods
Visitor

ICS Browser loads some mobile sites (e.g. BBC)

I am definitely loving the ICS update - tablet is now so much smoother and faster, with browsing and typing as it should have been.

BUT - one big annoyance for me is that the new browser must send a slightly different user agent to websites than the last one, as some sites now redirect to the mobile site automatically when they didn't on honeycomb.  The most annoying example of this for me is the BBC website as it loads as my homepage every time.

I know there are various workarounds for this, but nothing you can change and leave permanently - and it's very annoying.  I.e. I know I can:

- Open the menu and select "Request Desktop site"; obviously I have to do this every time though

- Select "Desktop Site" on the website; again, have to do this every time, it doesn't leave a cookie

- Use a different browser; a viable option except that (IMO) the stock browser is the best one; I love the smart tabs and full screen browsing mode, and browser+ just isn't as fast

- Use the "about:debug" fix to open the debug menu; this is also a good option as "Honeycomb Xoom" can be selected under "UAString" which makes websites act in exactly the same way as pre-ICS - however, frustratingly the debug mode always disappears once you've shut the tablet down and restarted it!

I'm just going to have to live with it aren't I...

Unless anyone's got any further pearls of wisdom??

Cheers

HG

2 REPLIES 2
profile.country.GB.title
sehuxle

I'm with you on this issue, but it seems at present we'll have to live with it.

I don't undertand why the 'request desktop site' can't be made the default setting. As far as I'm aware the only permenant solution is to use an alternative browser such as Dolphin.

profile.country.en_GB.title
heavygoods
Visitor

That's what it seems unfortunately.

I do actually use Dolphin when I need to load a desktop site (though the option in the stock browser now means I won't have to) and I do like it - it's just not as fast or as slick. Shame really, guess if I want to continue to use the stock browser I've just got to live with it!