Join now - be part of our community!

Multiple user accounts on Tablet S

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
guitardavept
Explorer

Multiple user accounts on Tablet S

So... I'm pretty much sold on the Sony Tablet S, but have a quick question...

When you switch it on, do you log in to your personal account, like on a Windows laptop, or is it just on for anyone to use? Does it have password protect on it?

The reason I ask... I know that if I buy one of these, my other half is going to want to use it too. So it would be handy to have 2 user accounts set up, so we can use our respective Facebook's etc.etc.

I don't like the idea that anyone can just pick it up, turn it on, and be in to your Facebook account or whatever.

Thanks for your help!

Dave

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi Dave,

welcome to Questions & Answers..:smileyhappy:

Unfortunately Android does not support mult user accounts..:smileysad:

You can set a password to prevent someone from using your tablet though..:smileywink:

View solution in original post

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi Dave,

I guess if you both want to use social networking, ie facebook, on your tablet then yes you'll need to log off at the end of your session..

Hopefully Android will release an update in the future that will allow for the createation of multi accounts..

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi Dave,

welcome to Questions & Answers..:smileyhappy:

Unfortunately Android does not support mult user accounts..:smileysad:

You can set a password to prevent someone from using your tablet though..:smileywink:

guitardavept
Explorer

Thanks for the reply 🙂

That's a bit of a shame... So how does social networking work then? I'd have to log out of my apps at the end of each session so that my gf could log in with her account, and vice versa?

Good news about the passwrd protect though - not that I plan on leaving it lying around for anyone to find! But it does add some of piece of mind.

Dave

Watashiwateshdes
Contributor

It is bit of a shame but everyone has followed suit. Apple's iOS is the same and has no user accounts and since Android branches out from mobile phones, profiles and user accounts are not something that have ever been used.

With the social networking, yeah you would need to log out so someone else can log back in. I remember a long time ago, there was third party Facebook applications which let you have a "logon" type screen but didn't request a password so anyone could access any account they wanted. I will have to try and remember the name.

I think the main thing with Tablets is they are mainly seen an item used by one person rather than a group of people so things like user accounts and dedicated applications are only really going to be seen on a laptop/desktop or a Tablet running on Windows.

It is still early days for Android and has much more room to expand so who knows what the future will hold.

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi Dave,

I guess if you both want to use social networking, ie facebook, on your tablet then yes you'll need to log off at the end of your session..

Hopefully Android will release an update in the future that will allow for the createation of multi accounts..