Join now - be part of our community!

Play .MNV files on VAIO PC

profile.country.GB.title
kdemetriou
New

Play .MNV files on VAIO PC

Hi, I raised this question under the notebook community but maybe I should have raised it here instead. I have a .MNV movie downloaded on my Tablet S, purchased from Video Unlimited. Is there a player that would allow me to play it on a VAIO Laptop if I copy it there first?

8 REPLIES 8
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

MNV is the file extension for Playstation Movies which are designed to play on Playstation 3 or PSP.

http://www.sharpened.net/extensions/file/mnv

I don't know anything that will convert MNV - it may be worth trying the Playstation Forums but I'm not sure it is possible.

:thinking:

profile.country.GB.title
kdemetriou
New

Cool, thanks for your reply. I was not looking to convert the file, I really wanted to play it as is. I even went to the Video Unlimited site on my VAIO PC to see if I can purchase a movie directly to PC. I could not figure it out. Seems that you're right that the Sony Entertainment Network is only available to PSP, PS3 and the Tablets and it is not possible to stream or download to PC. Is this weird or am I really getting it wrong?

profile.country.GB.title
kdemetriou
New

Hi, kinda weird I’m answering my own questions here, but just in case someone else is interested, here is what I have found

If you download a piece of kit to your PC called “Media Go” by Sony then you can indeed integrate quite effectively all the movies from your Tablet to the PC. The .MNV file contained on the tablet can be imported to the PC library as a .MNV file along with creating a new associated .MNL file which I presume is the license file. Once successfully imported then the movie can be played on the PC using the same “Media Go” Software.

Cool.

I have two beefs though if I may…

Number 1 - I love SONY kit, all my PC’s are Vaio, I have PS3, Sony Home Theater, PSP, Tablet S, XPERIA Phone. Only my TV is SAMSUNG. Anyway the reason I choose Sony is INTEGRATION. Sony, I ask, what went wrong with the Tablet though? I really had to hunt around to find this Media Go Software in order to resolve the integration short comings!

Number 2 - Also the Tablet does not see the SDCARD2 with the standard supplied software (not good, but it gets worse please read on…), I had to download MV Video Player and File Expert to get to my SDCARD2, this is tacky! Guess what, shock horror, Media Go does not see SDCARD2 on the tablet either so your tablet library have to be on SDACRD. ie INTEGRATION on SDCARD2 is impossible/non existent. Now let’s think it through…

I have a 16 gig 3G Tablet S. (conceptually I love it, however,) the tablet uses 8 gig and I have 8 gig left for me on SDCARD. After I add all the files I need I have 3 gig left on SDCARD. Basically I can download 2 movies and then I run out of memory on SDCARD. From this point forward I am inconvenienced. I have to start messing around with File Expert to start moving files to SDCARD2 before I can continue. So Sony, I ask you how many movies do you think I will download on my tablet? Not good for business huh? Very Tacky.

profile.country.GB.title
sehuxle

Unless Im missing something but cant you just download the film onto your PC using your sony network account. You dont need to copy it from your tablet

If you buy or rent a film via video unlimited you can see it on any device whether tablet, PC or PS3

profile.country.GB.title
kdemetriou
New

Well yes if you don’t mind to pay for the movie again. There is no place in Media Go, after going to the store, to re-download movies you have already paid for. Well maybe there is but I can’t find it. If you know of a way can you please explain?

profile.country.GB.title
sehuxle

Not able to check my PC at the moment but it certainly works for PS3, I could access my downloads on both tablet or PS3

Googling video unlimited points to sonys website that implies you can access them across a number of devices.

profile.country.en_GB.title
smellyonion
New

The issue about the memory is very common, hopefully they will address it in the next update.

Video unlimited does not seem to be available on pc.

Video unlimited is so stupid as you have to download the movie. You can only stream it once you start the download so therefore you alway have to have 1.5gb on your tablet free, which is not possible as the memory is too small. The save to sd option merely saves it to tablet memory.

Why there is no direct streaming, i will never know, the funny thing is that its easier to illegaly pirate a movie than watch it on the tablet.

Lovefilm, netflix, click watch bam..your watching. sony..download.... complete stupidity on demand services which work by download is like having a car with no wheels.

profile.country.GB.title
kdemetriou
New

Under PS3 I can only see items purchased on the PS3. None of the items purchased on the Tablet appear there except for items ready for download. Same goes for the PC. If you are getting different results then I may have an account related issue and need to call Sony. Once you’ve checked your PC would you mind providing a further update?