Join now - be part of our community!

Sky Go on Sony Tablet

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
alglais
New

Sky Go on Sony Tablet

Hi,

I'm extremely close to getting a Sony Tablet S 32GB but one of my questions is about using Sky Go.

Does anyone know or has tried Sky Go on the tablet yet?

Also I'm looking at how I'm going to get my large music collection and then put DVD's onto the tablet and I don't know whether to get an adaptor cable or get a large SD card - what has everyone else done?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Watashiwateshdes
Contributor

Just had a look and at the moment, Sky Go is unavailable on the Android Marketplace but reports from people online that it is on its way shortly. No word yet but I assume Sky are working on it to get it online asap.

As for your music collection/movies. I would go down the SD card route. The native Sony applications will not read external devices so would need to move everything however there are loads of free movie/audio apps out there which will read from SD cards without a problem.

I found Mobo Player for movies to be great. Played back 720p movies back with no issues of lag or audio drop out.

If you haven't, pop down to your local Sony Centre or stockist and try one out. Really different yet positive experience compared to others. I guess the final choice is down to app availability.

In case you want to browse, here is the Android Marketplace - https://market.android.com/

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Watashiwateshdes
Contributor

Just had a look and at the moment, Sky Go is unavailable on the Android Marketplace but reports from people online that it is on its way shortly. No word yet but I assume Sky are working on it to get it online asap.

As for your music collection/movies. I would go down the SD card route. The native Sony applications will not read external devices so would need to move everything however there are loads of free movie/audio apps out there which will read from SD cards without a problem.

I found Mobo Player for movies to be great. Played back 720p movies back with no issues of lag or audio drop out.

If you haven't, pop down to your local Sony Centre or stockist and try one out. Really different yet positive experience compared to others. I guess the final choice is down to app availability.

In case you want to browse, here is the Android Marketplace - https://market.android.com/

alglais
New

Thanks, hopefully it won't be too long before the android app for Sky Go comes out. I already know the app saturation for Android is poor compared to Apple but having a Nokia smartphone I'm kinda used to that. I want a tablet but I'm loathed to go Apple cos I hate iTunes with avengance and it riles me that everthing with Apple is proprietary.

Thanks for the reply about the SD/USB I'll look now look at getting a 16GB one as I want to get the 32GB Tablet and have an 8GB SD card not in normal use at home

I've tried out the tablet at PC world and I'm really itching to get one as I love the look and feel of the tablet as well as the useage of it. If I buy I'll get it from my local Sony store as you get the 2 year guarantee.

The only fly in the oint ment is that girlfriends brother can potentially get upto 30% discount at his work and they sell the iPad2. However I'm hoping he can't get a big discount as then Sony Tablet S is still miles ahead for me, if he can the major saving could lead to some difficult soul searching.

hip_hop_rob
Explorer

Hi Alglais,

welcome to the forum.  If it helps, an external USB flash drive can be attached to the Sony and read directly by using an OTG (On The Go) cable c£10 from ebay. One such example is the motorola micro usb to female usb cable

Also John Lewis have reinstated 2 Years guarantee  on the S1 tablet.

I have a 16gb tablet  with 16 gb sdhc card and an 8gb usb flash too.  Am getting a 32gb usb flash shortly to help with additional storage .

on a personal level, found the diceplayer trial excellent in playing back mkv video files and for free the MK player comes up trumps too.  Found the Mobi player was unable to playback mk files but maybe that was just me?

Hope that helps you in your deliberations ?

alglais
New

thanks hip_hop_rob,

I've already got a micro usb -> usb female adaptor cable that I got with my nokia N8 (hopefully I'll be able to find it) hopefully that should work.

Think I'll be getting mine from the Sony store, there's no price difference at the moment and I like the idea of using Sony for their support and guarantee.

Cheers

guitardavept
Explorer

alglais,

I'm kind of in the same position as you - I've decided to get a tablet, and the only question is ipad2 or Sony Tablet S?...

I have an iphone, and I do like the way that it runs but... and it's a big BUT... as we all know, Apple products won't run flash. This is a huge drawback for me as I spend a lot of web time browsing the likes of BBC F1 and listening to music on Youtube. The BBC F1 video's are all in flash, and all official music video's on youtube don't even appear in search results on an ipad/iphone let alone actually play!

So really there is only 1 choice for me. The ipad2 is no doubt a superb piece of kit, but the compromise is too much - I couldn't spend that kind of money, and then not be able to use it for what I wanted.

The Sony Tablet S, however, seems to do everything that I want it to, with the one exception of not being able to have multiple users. This is not such a big problem though, so I can live wih it.

It was this review that sold me on the Sony - it looks superb:- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLWIp6MEjZs

Dave

Message was edited by: guitardavept

Message was edited by: guitardavept