Join now - be part of our community!

Sony Xperia Tablet powers itself off.. advice please!

profile.country.GB.title
fee.666
Explorer

Sony Xperia Tablet powers itself off.. advice please!

Hi! 

Bought a 32gb Xperia Tablet S last Monday and am happy with it.   I have this issue at the moment and would appreciate any advice.

If I do not use the tablet for a time, it goes into a 'standby mode' and I can touch the power switch to wake it up.  I then slide the unlock icon to make all active again.  :slight_smile:

However, after a period of non-use, my tablet switches off completely and I have to reboot and can see the SONY screen and then XPERIA screen, before it boots and is ready to use.  :thinking:

Occasionally this reboot happens within 5 minutes of being in sleep mode.:smileycry:

In Settings -> Display,  I have set the Power save mode as checked,  and Sleep is after 2 minutes.  Also in Settings, Developers options, stay awake is checked but I know this relates to when the tablet is being charged

Please can you advise me if there is any settings that I need to change or if I have been unlucky and have a faulty tablet and will need to return it to the Sony Store!

I was told that the tablet has an 'Eco Mode'  but that does not make sense because powering off means no mail check etc etc!

Ofiaich

88 REPLIES 88
profile.country.en_GB.title
stbromf44
Visitor

Hi,

Results of Wi-Fi experiments :-

Wi-Fi on          Wi-Fi connected          Screen on               No problems

Wi-Fi on          Wi-Fi connected          Screen off               Reboots

Wi-Fi off                                            Screen on or off       No problems

Wi-Fi on          Wi-Fi not connected    Screen on or off       No problems

The problem appears to be when the Wi-Fi is connected and the tablet is in sleep mode once bringing out of sleep mode it will reboot.

Steve

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Thanks for all the info, I'll pass it into Sony in the hope that it helps them try to identify the cause of your sleep issue..

As mentioned above if, and when, I get a reply I'll post again..

profile.country.GB.title
fee.666
Explorer

Thanks Thalamus,

I have had 2 reboots this morning.  Wi-Fi is on.  I still turn the screen off by pressing the power on/off button. I don't want to switch the Wi-Fi off because my main use is for email checking.

I did report mine to Sony Support on 08702402408 and when  promoted for a 7 digit case number I typed 1234567#  and waited for an operator.

I could not find a way on Sony sites of raising a case and being allocated a case number.  There is also the option to type in your serial number but my Xperia Tablet serial number was always rejected and when I told this to the agent, he argued that I had not told him the correct serial number.  He told me to check inside the SD Compartment for it, and yes, it was the number I had told him 3 times!!!

He has not emailed me a case number but says I wil receive a call soon to hoepfully resolve the problem.

The store where I purchased my tablet is also raising the problem with Sony.

Finally, the Sony Tablet S forum, which includes Xperia S, at XDA Developers is now getting new users posting with this problem.

Hope we can get it resolved soon!

Ofiaich

profile.country.GB.title
fee.666
Explorer

useful information here at XDA . This is from a log showing what happens when the Xperia Tablet shuts down when it should not!!    

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1904445&page=4

10-01 11:07:29.150 I/wpa_supplicant(  718): wlan0: CTRL-EVENT-DISCONNECTED bssid=00:23:69:73:b9:d2 reason=1024

10-01 11:07:29.150 D/CommandListener(25958): Clearing all IP addresses on wlan0

10-01 11:07:29.160 D/ConnectivityService(  215): ConnectivityChange for WIFI: DISCONNECTED/DISCONNECTED

10-01 11:07:29.160 D/ConnectivityService(  215): Attempting to switch to BLUETOOTH_TETHER

10-01 11:07:29.170 D/NetUtils(  215): android_net_utils_resetConnections in env=0x1f9af60 clazz=0xc4f00001 iface=wlan0 mask=0x3

10-01 11:07:29.170 D/ConnectivityService(  215): resetConnections(wlan0, 3)

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Thanks for your feedback fee.666. Just thought I'd let you know that I am passing it onto Sony for you..:smileyhappy:

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

chvince31 wrote: In this thread - Tablet occassionally turns itself off in standby mode

I bought my tablet 2 weeks ago and there was no problem as far as I am aware. I loaded the Android update and whether this is a coincidence or not my tablet now turns itself off occassionally whilst in sleep mode. It works absulutly fine whilst on and has no flicker problems or loose switch. Has it been affected by the upgrade or does it have a general fault..

Yours

Impressed by tablet

Chris

In order to avoid confusion & to prevent duplicating I have placed a copy of chvince31 post into this thread & have locked the other thread..

profile.country.GB.title
fee.666
Explorer

Hi Thalamus,

I registered this problem with Sony Support on 0870 240 2408  and have a case number.  I was promised a call back today between 6.00pm and 8.00pm...  but no call ... disappointing..

The Sony store where I bought it has not got back to me about the problem either. 

The Xperia Tablet S needs to be restarted nearly all of the time, after I left it in 'sleep mode'.

Interestingly, I know someone who bought theirs from the online store, and he has no problems.

I will call that number again tomorrow.  :laughing: Wish I could reverse the charges!  :laughing:

fee.666

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

fee.666 wrote:

Hi Thalamus,

I registered this problem with Sony Support on 0870 240 2408  and have a case number.  I was promised a call back today between 6.00pm and 8.00pm...  but no call ... disappointing..

The Sony store where I bought it has not got back to me about the problem either. 

The Xperia Tablet S needs to be restarted nearly all of the time, after I left it in 'sleep mode'.

Interestingly, I know someone who bought theirs from the online store, and he has no problems.

I will call that number again tomorrow.  Wish I could reverse the charges! 

fee.666

Hi fee.666,

thanks for the update, unfortunately I do not have any news to share with you yet, hopefully one of us will get some info from Sony soon..

profile.country.GB.title
fee.666
Explorer

Hi Thalamus,

I called the helpline again, and was told that I had been sent email.  Even though I spelt out my email address 4 or 5 times, the email was still sent to the incorrect address.

Now I have it, and have been asked

- Have you installed any Apps / SW that may cause this issue.

- Make sure no external devices connected.

- Does the tablet switch to sleep automatically or when you press the power button.

- Make sure that no disconnect policy option in the advanced wireless settings.

profile.country.GB.title
fee.666
Explorer

I replied with these answers....

- Have you installed any Apps / SW that may cause this issue.

I have only installed Apps that re available in the Play Store.  For example, Kindle. XDA Premium, BBC News Sky News. Facebook and Twitter.

BUT I had the problem from when the Xperia Tablet S was new.  At that time only GMail and Corporate Mail was installed.

I have not installed any Apps that change the Wi-Fi settings.

- Make sure no external devices connected.

I have not used an SD Card.  The Xperia Tablet S sits in the Sony Cradle BUT the issue is still present if I do not use the cradle. .

- Does the tablet switch to sleep automatically or when you press the power button.

In Settings > Display > Sleep, no time limit is selected.   Therefore I use the power button to make the Xperia Tablet S go into sleep mode.
However, often, when I touch the power button, the Xperia Tablet S boots showing the word SONY, then XPERIA, then the splash screen.

- Make sure that no disconnect policy option in the advanced wireless settings.

The Wi-Fi disconnection policy is set to option 3. ( Always keep Wi-fi connected when the screen turns off, even if Wi-Fi is not being used. ( Wi-Fi is always disconnected when the device sleeps. )