Join now - be part of our community!

Tablet S will not learn

profile.country.en_GB.title
nathanbrazilsfsite
Visitor

Tablet S will not learn

One of the main attractions of the Tablet S, for me, was the universal remote function. I've had to teach each device individually button by button, which got the job done... until I came to my Onkyo TX-NR609 AV Receiver.

Absolutely nothing I have been able to do will make the Sony tablet learn the Receiver Mode command from the original remote. Yes, I've tried different angles and distances form the tablet, also different lighting conditions and length of button press. The strange thing is, most other buttons WILL map to the Sony from this remote, with no problem at all, Yes, the button still works fine on the original remote. The problem here is that the Receiver Mode button is quite important, and without this mapped to the Sony, I may as well not bother using the tablet as a universal remote, when using my Home Cinema set up. Which, as you can imagine, is hugely disappointing.

So, does anyone here have a clue as to why the Sony will not map this single key, and how on earth I can get past the problem?

Also, will someone at Sony please extract the digit and update the universal remote app so that it will allow actions, which Logitech with their Harmony range of controllers have been doing for years!

22 REPLIES 22
dazzer123
Visitor

Quote the other problem is with the media center where i can only press the direction buttons   once, i have to press another button before it will recognize another press.

i have posted on here after experiencing this exact problem wondering if i should return the unit to store but have no idea what i could replace it with that would work as a universal remote and actually work with my devices ie: pc media center.

firionicable
Visitor

Any update regarding this issue?

nathanbrazilsfsite
Visitor

Nope, zip, nada. Months on, and Sony would appear not to give a damn about those of us who bought this tablet in good faith, expecting the universal remote to work.

As things stand, I have a partially working app, which is frustratingly inadequate. Learned commands stop working, the app is slow to change between devices, there is STILL no update including Actions (the ability to trigger several devices in sequence), or a general update. Okay, the first iteration of any software is bound to have teething problems. But, Sony's apparent complete lack of interest in sorting this out almost makes me wish I'd bought an iPad.

Is there ANYONE at Sony actually reading this? Will this irritating problem ever be fixed, or should we all just go away and spend our money on something made by a company that is interested when what it advertises doesn't do what is claimed?

Nathan

Message was edited by: nathanbrazilsfsite

nathanbrazilsfsite
Visitor

Incredible! Sony have updated this app... and actually made it worse. Not only does the damn thing still refuse to recognise the same controls as it failed to register before, but now it's much slower to load.

Are there any innovations? Oh yes, the boffins have added a kind of mini widget, which would appear to be aimed at making the use of already mapped devices quicker. A little button in the middle bottom of the screen will load a small version of the Universal Remote app, with control data taken from what is already installed. Except that, when it came to my satellite box, all it was prepared to show me was the on button and a mute button. Really useful, eh?

As far as I can work out, there is no way to edit these mini screens, making what conrols appear entirely at the mercy of the designers!

Is anyone at Sony actually bothered one iota that the app DOES NOT WORK? The way I feel at the moment, much as I loathe Apple, if the iPad 4 had a Universal Remote, I'd buy the thing, just to see if the software engineers there provided what the company advertised.

NicholasKersov
Visitor

NathanBrazil here, under another name, to express my extreme disapointmnet with the poor service from Sony technical brigade. Why another name? Because try as I did, the system here refuses to accept my original ID, or resend my password. And yes, I was using the right one!

Following weeks and weeks of nothing happening at all, I finally recieved the following from someone called Asem, at Sony Support Team -

I apologize for the delay.

As a start These are the limitations for The Sony Tablet Remote 'easy learning' infrared :

-If the Remote control  is not IR(infrared)

-If the Remote control does two way communication

(Ex : Air conditioner)

-Remote control with long number of bytes for IR pattern.

We would need more information about the device ,as which keys are not working with each device?

All of the above I had already supplied, several times. I did so once more, only to receive absolutely no acknowedgement, and since then nothing at all. I can only conclude the Sony either can't or more likely won't fix the problem. That being the case, the Sony tablet does not do what it say on the tin; it will not function as a universal remote. As for the limitation mentioned above, if Sony is selling a limited prodcut that should be made clear in its advertising.

FWIW, the home cinema system components which I have had so much trouble getting to work via the Sony Tablet are not some cheap knock off no one has ever heard of brand, but top of the range high quality kit from very well known manufacturers. If Sony's software/ hardware doesn't work with kit like that, then it is simply not good enough.

As things stand I am now very unlikely to ever buy another Sony product, and will be sure to tell as many people as possible in great deatail about my experience.

Message was edited by: NicholasKersov

profile.country.pl_PL.title
tomaszekborys
Visitor

i'd have a same problem

but...

do it like in the instruction , place remote control in front of tablet , on the table , do not hold devices in hand,

distance about 5-25cm

try to change distance betwin devices 1cm at the time

it should work

profile.country.nl_NL.title
breedBenR

also, in the update annouced for first generation Tablet S 'end of this year', update to IR remote app is promised.

NicholasKersov
Visitor

Thanks for the epost, but already tried that some time ago. No joy.

NicholasKersov
Visitor

Great...if it works. Can't understand why Sony would be so slow and have so little interest in a fault with the ONE unique selling point that their tablet has over the all-conquering iPad.

Here we are on 14th of December 2012, and Sony have at long last issued a major update. The only problem is, it did not fix the issue with controls not mapping, despite extensive correspoindence on this, and did not add 'Activities' just a crappy macro which does half the job!

Well, that is it for me. The Sony Tablet S is a very fine tablet for most other uses, but not up to standard as a universal remote. I have now gone back to my FOUR YEAR OLD Logitech Harmony One controller, which works like a dream. Quite why Sony have squandered the opportunity to have something that no other tablet can offer, and apparently can't be bothered to fix a compatiability issue with another major manufacturer, or do what Logitech were doing four years ago (with Activities), is one of life's mysteries.

NK

profile.country.nl_NL.title
Zerokewl

Same problem with xperia tablet s

Won't learn receiver mode this becoming quite lame.

I also have onkyo tx-nr609

Message was edited by: Zerokewl