Join now - be part of our community!

Throwing Video

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
matempl67
Visitor

Throwing Video

Hi All

Still discovering the various in and outs of this device.

I have got the music and the photos to THROW to 2 different Bravia Internet TVs.

My issue is that the pre-loaded videos and a video i took on the device do not THROW and receive error messages. An error message similar to "This TV cannot display the content from this device" (displayed on the tablet) - which I find strange seeing as this is the whole point of this feature.

Also, someone with a prgoramming background:

Would it not be possible to stream the entire display of the tablet to a TV screen, instead of just photos, music and video - so for instance YouTube, iPlayer etc? Could someone develop an app that could do it?

Very much appreciate any input

Thanks

Max

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Watashiwateshdes
Contributor

Hi  Since throw is based on simply pushing content from one device to another, there is no conversion involved here so in essence, your TV does not support the file format. Not much which can be done about that other than try another file format.  I have managed to throw mkv files from a Tablet S onto a 2011 Bravia and it seemed fine. I can try some more file formats if you could let me know your TV model.  As for throwing the entire display, well that might be hard to code since Google may not allow apps like that be allowed (they do not let you even natively screenshot) but also, that would be a large amount of data and processing that would need to be done.  The idea of throwing would be great but in realistic terms, for the amount of wirk required, I can see that being a paid app and the a handful of people downloading it. I meaan I know I wouldnt since I already have a laptop which is connected to my tv so I just throw content to that instead. Renders much better.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Watashiwateshdes
Contributor

Hi  Since throw is based on simply pushing content from one device to another, there is no conversion involved here so in essence, your TV does not support the file format. Not much which can be done about that other than try another file format.  I have managed to throw mkv files from a Tablet S onto a 2011 Bravia and it seemed fine. I can try some more file formats if you could let me know your TV model.  As for throwing the entire display, well that might be hard to code since Google may not allow apps like that be allowed (they do not let you even natively screenshot) but also, that would be a large amount of data and processing that would need to be done.  The idea of throwing would be great but in realistic terms, for the amount of wirk required, I can see that being a paid app and the a handful of people downloading it. I meaan I know I wouldnt since I already have a laptop which is connected to my tv so I just throw content to that instead. Renders much better.

matempl67
Visitor

Hi there

thanks for the reply

The two Models I have treid are:

KDL40LX903 and KDL32EX713 (with inernet dongle).

Appreciate your help - and will await a reply!

Max

mpattenden
New

I have a similar problem. I can throw music and pictures to my samsung tv via my media player that supports dlna but I get exactly the same error. I thought it might have been my players implimentation of dlna but this post no makes me wander?

I know this is 'bleeding edge' technology and on the whole I'm quite impressed but the lack of answers from Sony is deafening - another example of this can be seen in the crackle thread.

Come on Sony you have a potentially game changing device here give it the type of support it deserves.

Watashiwateshdes
Contributor

With the older sets like the 713, same I noticed that it does not like any of my MKV files so I know it DOES support MPEG4 and AVC so what I will do is make 2/3 videos for people to download and try throwing that.

Will post up my codecs etc depending on results. I am sure we can get this up and running quite easily. One of the biggest problems with throw is since there is no transcoding, it makes it difficult to make universal.

DLNA was so much simpler before it was opened up to so many luxury file types but hey, thats technology for ya!

Watashiwateshdes
Contributor

Just got back in from seeing a few people so this is very rushed. The video IS boring but hey, its better than nothing. Could you guys download these (Clarity-Rebirth is my site but easiest way to get these here for you) and try them out with your TV's? These all work on the Tablet S (tested on mine just now) but for testing purposes, no thumbnails.

Right click and select Save as. Leave the filenames as they are so we can find out which work and which do not. I hope the older Sony Bravia's support the AVC profiles. *fingers crossed*

http://www.clarity-rebirth.co.uk/Test_Video/m2t.m2t

http://www.clarity-rebirth.co.uk/Test_Video/MainAVC.mp4

http://www.clarity-rebirth.co.uk/Test_Video/SonyAVC.mp4

matempl67
Visitor

thanks for uploading. the first file errors on download. saved the other 2 and both played fine on the tablet. played tge files through moboplayer and the throw icon does not appear. trided to plAy them through the native video player supplied with the tablet, but you have to specify the folder the videos are saved in. the video player does not allow you to select the Download folder so could not play them

in anycase I popped into the sony store and gave them the models of TV I was trying to play the videos on. they looked them up and siad that neither of them supported mpeg4 as a video format, despite only being about 6 and 12 months old. they suggested trying to find an app that can convert mpeg4 to mpeg2 (which should play fine on the TVs)

any ideas?