Join now - be part of our community!

Trying to connect a pen-drive memory to my Talbet S

SOLVED
profile.country.es_ES.title
Teatimeoclock
Visitor

Trying to connect a pen-drive memory to my Talbet S

My tablet S doesn't recognize a memory pen-drive connected to the USB port. I cannot see any new device or mounted folder (and I'm using several memory management applications: "File Manager" and "File Expert").

How can I get my USB device connected?

Thanks.

Pedro

Tags (1)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Teatimeoclock
Visitor

New facts:

I've tried to connect my tablet to the PC using "File Expert"... and it works!! I don't know why "File Manager HD" doesn't.

On the other hand, the bad point is that "File Expert" doesn't see the "\mnt\sdcard2" device and I cannot copy directly my PC files to the sdcards2 (I need 2 steps): !!Nobody is perfect!!! (But some gadgets less than others ;-).

Pedro

View solution in original post

19 REPLIES 19
profile.country.fr_BE.title
bennybuche
New

Hi Pedro,

If you use the provided usb<>mini-usb cable provided with our tablet, it should work!

Are you sure your usb drive is FAT32 formatted? If NTFS or other, Android doesn't manage it (yet)...

Tell us 😉

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

bennybuche wrote:

Hi Pedro,

If you use the provided usb<>mini-usb cable provided with our tablet, it should work!

As far as i was aware there were not any mini USB cables provided with the Tablet S in the UK..:smileyconfused:

profile.country.en_GB.title
mpattenden
New

I certainly didn't get one and the official one hadn't been released in the UK when I got my tablet. You need an OTG (On The Go) type cable I got mine off ebay - very cheap:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190577827569&ssPageName=ADME:L:OC:GB:1123

This should then work fine - remeber though as mentioned Android does not officially support NTFS so the drive has to be FAT32 formatted and therefore can't support any files over 4GB.

HTH

Padster

Teatimeoclock
Visitor

Hi Bennybuche,

Thanks (to you and the other people) for your answer.

I'm not using the "official" Sony cable (this is an annoying topic I wouldn't like to mix up here). It was "out of stock" at Sony shopping site when I needed it. Then, I work out an alternative using a "normal" [mini-usb<->male-USB] +  [female-USB<->female-USB] adapter.

The cable seems to work OK as long as the tablet is recognized by my PC when connected to it. I've tried several USB-pen memories without success (FAT and FAT32). Browsing the tablet file system I cannot find any new device, or the mounted devices (under "\mnt" folder) are empty, appart from the internal SD-card (\mnt\sdcard)  and an external (32-MB) SD-card I had already pluged in (\mnt\sdcard2).

Can anybody shed some light on this situation?

Thanks.

Pedro

praed0r
Visitor

You need to get an 'OTG' adaptor to use the usb port as host with memory sticks, keyboards etc.

The cable combination you are using is the normal 'SLAVE' connector for communicating with a 'HOST' usb port on a laptop or PC.   If you search on Amazon or ebay for an OTG micro-usb adaptor you will be presented with several options.

Hope this helps

damian12321
Visitor

when I connected my dslr to the sony I found it in  usbdisk1 in the file system ,might be the same for the pen drive .

I have just connected my htc phone as well ,which  was in usbdisk1 .

Message was edited by: damian12321

Message was edited by: damian12321

Teatimeoclock
Visitor

Thanks "praed0r",

Sorry, but I don't know what an 'OTG' adaptor is. From your answer I presume the "offical" cable is special. I mean, the pin-age for the sockets (some electrical features) is special.

Could you, please, confirm me that (wherever I order the cable) I have to buy the "offcial" cable in order to get my tablet working properly?

Regards.

Pedro

mpattenden
New

See my previous post - a third party cable will work just fine as long as it's classed as an on the go (OTG) cable

The ebay one I got was very cheap and was a Samsung one but works fine.

hth

Padster

praed0r
Visitor

Perfect reply Padster