Join now - be part of our community!

Trying to connect a pen-drive memory to my Talbet S

SOLVED
profile.country.es_ES.title
Teatimeoclock
Visitor

Trying to connect a pen-drive memory to my Talbet S

My tablet S doesn't recognize a memory pen-drive connected to the USB port. I cannot see any new device or mounted folder (and I'm using several memory management applications: "File Manager" and "File Expert").

How can I get my USB device connected?

Thanks.

Pedro

Tags (1)
19 REPLIES 19
Teatimeoclock
Visitor

Thanks mpattenden.

I have just order one OTG cable by eBay (very cheap in deed: 4$!!).

On the other hand, talking about mounted devices recognition. When I connect my table to the PC, this one cannot see the external SD-card (\mnt\sdcard2). I did check that the SD-card is a FAT-32 (32GB) formated.

Is this a normal behaviour?

Regards.

Pedro

profile.country.en_GB.title
mpattenden
New

Pedro,

Just to break this down. Lets forget the pc and talk about the tablet in isolation.

With a file manager (say file manager hd or the like) can you see the sd card on the tablet?

By default these apps usually require you to 'move up' directories to see the sd card.

Regards

Padster

Teatimeoclock
Visitor

Hi Padster,

Using "File Manager HD" I can navigate till root ('\') folder and I can see everything,

When connecting the tablet to the PC (Windows 7), it shows me an USB Storage icon (as an entry point to the device), and from that point I enter into "/mnt/sdcard" in the tablet file system. I cannot get further up (or I come back to the Windows explorer icon entry point! (I expect I managed to explain myself properly).

Regards.

Pedro

mpattenden
New

Pedro,

I would guess in that case that it is expected behaviour. I can't confirm this for you though as I have a mac book pro and haven't connected the tablet to it and it's a different os so we wouldn't prove anything (side note if anyone knows a way to get media to go working on a mac let me know as sony site basically says tough!)

Maybe one of the guys like wata, benny, thalamus etc could test for you.

Regards

Padster

ps. just out of interest why are you trying to access sd in this manner?

Teatimeoclock
Visitor

Thanks Padster,

Answering your question:

Very often I need to transfer files from the PC to my tablet. I know 3 ways of doing so:

1) Via a USB pen-drive: not possible at the moment till I receive the OTG adapter cable.

2) Via Dropbox (or similar cloud application): In the case of Dropbox, the Andriod dropbox functionality is not flexible (and efficient) enough for frequent copy/move operations. Recently I have discovered Box, but I haven't used it intensively enough to asses it.

3) Via direct tablet-to-PC connection: very easy and efficient.

Regards.

Pedro

praed0r
Visitor

Why don't you just unplug the SD card from your tablet and plug it into a card reader on your PC ?

Simples....

mpattenden
New

Pedro,

I have to say for the SD card I often just plug it in to the device.

More often than not though I have a NAS at home and use ES Explorer to browse the shares on my network and copy files that way - unless it's something particularly large.

I guess your otg cable should be here by now though :wink:

Regards

Padster

profile.country.fr_BE.title
bennybuche
New

Hi Pedro,

Did you consider to share folders on your PC and access them trough the "network" capability of your File Manager app (File Manager HD and ES File Expert do the job quite well)? Doing so, when you're at home (or even ouside your home if your router allows it), you don't need any cable nor (drop)box nor usb-otg-capable-cable and it's (I think...) a flexible way to access (and manage) your centrally stored files.

Tell us if it helps...

Teatimeoclock
Visitor

Thanks mpattenden and bennybuche.

I have some comments:

1) I am trying to set up FIle Manager HD for "network" capability but I didn't managed: On my Windows-7 PC I shared a folder, then I tried to set up the network connection in File Manager HD (one of the configuration options from the drop-down menu at the upper-right corner). I choose "search" (the local network), it finds the IPs for the active PCs in the net but clicking on the appearing icons produce a conection error. Any clue about this error?

2) I am considering the option of installing a NAS drive. What's the recommended Android client application for that service?

Regards.

Pedro

Teatimeoclock
Visitor

New facts:

I've tried to connect my tablet to the PC using "File Expert"... and it works!! I don't know why "File Manager HD" doesn't.

On the other hand, the bad point is that "File Expert" doesn't see the "\mnt\sdcard2" device and I cannot copy directly my PC files to the sdcards2 (I need 2 steps): !!Nobody is perfect!!! (But some gadgets less than others ;-).

Pedro