Join now - be part of our community!

Why I am returning my tablet to the store.

profile.country.en_IE.title
stezie.irl
Visitor

Why I am returning my tablet to the store.

1.     tablet does not work with ps3 .

even though I aasked in the sony store before buying I was told that the tablet will work with a ps3 as its got the playstation stamp on the back.

I can control every other manufacturer  audio and video device in my house except the SONY PLAYSTATION . crazy or what.

I have tried several dlna servers and the tablet will not display movies or pictures,

2.     media transfer is useless.

the tablet does not come with a data transfer cable.

the tablet cannot read media directly from the memory card.

you need to copy media to memory card insert into tablet then transfer media from memory to tablet using the data transfer app before you can view it..

3. dock for tablet is useless.

all it does is charge tablet. it doesnt have any data transfer port to sync to the

pc.and at the price of the thing it doesnt even have a power supply. you need to use the tablets power lead.

4. proprietary power connector.

seriously.. this made me loose all will to keep this thing yesterday . while out for a drive the battery went dead. so called into a sony center for a car charger and there is none available . it doesnt make this thing too portable when you only get 4.5  hours of use

also typing this post on ththis website with this tablet is apain.

7 REPLIES 7
stezie.irl
Visitor

sony has really made me loose confidence in their products with this tablet.

profile.country.en_GB.title
Watashiwateshdes
Contributor

Welcome to the Sony forum and sorry to read of your views on the Tablet. Whilst Sony do not actively take part on the forum, they do oversee everything and will escalate this up.

In relation to the Tablet and PS3, I think the store were not aware of what they have advised. The Playstation stamp is to indicate that it is certified to play Playstation 1 and hopefully in future Playstation 2 games from the PSN. Hopefully see more games coming out this year on it. There have been a few comments regarding the remote control functionalities with the PS3 however they use different technology. The Tablet uses IR and the PS3 works on Bluetooth. There is a Sony Media Remote for Android and iOS products however once again, does not support the PS3 so it could be something the Playstation Team have decided to keep "in house".

DLNA server wise, this is a bit touch and go, I found the Sony DLNA app found and played videos stored on my computer which were recorded with on my Tablet and phone but then needed to use other apps to handle other file formats. Not really something Sony can fix due to the wide variety of file formats created by different devices.

Media transfer is actually a pain I agree but lucky I had a cable from my phone which worked. This was a comment which has been fed back already so we could see some changes coming into the system with the ICS update which has been announced. No official list on specs or features just yet but it could be promising.

I actually liked the dock as I use it as a picture frame/alarm clock. I tend to have it on a desk away from my laptop so it worked for me. Having to use the original charging cable was nicer but at the same time, if I wanted to hide the cable away fro the dock, not ideal for when I go away.

Same thing with a car charger, this has already been discussed and raised on a few occasions. There was someone who I think said they found a third party one but not heard back from them about it yet. It would be nice but 4.5 hours battery life from your Tablet? That does not sound right. As I have noticed in the past, Android devices do start with poor battery life for the first week or so. After that, on a bad day, I get around 10/11 hours between charges.

I think with the introduction to Tablet world, it has been a good start and granted there are issues, things can only get better from here. :slight_smile:

stezie.irl
Visitor

thanks for responding watashi, although i do not think you are an employee for sony? you must be a die hard sony fan that spends far too much of your personal time supporting and defending sony poor show. i hope they hook you up with some free equipment for your efforts.

sony do not review anything , if they do, then alot of issues would of been resolved by now . from reviewing this forum alot of people have discussed these issues ..

dnla issue i think i havr worked it out which is quite simple really. all my videos from movies to dvd box sets of tv series have been ripped in full quality containing 5.1 or 7.1 audio. these files are avi. the tablet does not support avi files, only mp4 files. i am not converting 750 gb of video files for this tablet..

the reason why i bought this tablet after consultation from the owner of my local sony center is that i would be able to control the ps3 to navigate my video collecton then i could start the video playing on the ps3 providing me full video and audio quality.

i do not fancy hanging out for ICS , going by their "RAPID" response on this forum its safe to presume that they havent even started looking at ICS for the sony tablet.

the dock would be ok, if it was included in the box but at thre price sony demand leaning it against the wall will suffice..

i dont think that you get 10/11 hours with continious usage... and he charge time is so slow aswell. i charged it at work today for 4 hours and it went from 20% to just 60 %

sony have been in he consumer electronics business for years and should know exactly what the consumer expects. from such a reputable company this is a really poor show. how could they develop the ps3 controller to work with the tablet but not consider that consumers want the tablet to work with the ps3...

r

stezie.irl
Visitor

and another point.. i have 30 odd ps1 games there. how do i get those on the tablet?

i bet you gonna tell me ill have to buy them all over from the sony store?

bam27beer
Visitor

+1

dock should have some usb readers or some thing

ps3 dnla should be standard and for me it was the remote control ,thought i could lose my harmony 1100 but no go ,:(  ,"u,s,p" and no macros ! or updates

Watashiwateshdes
Contributor

Not really any sort of fanboy to be honest but just happen to have a lot of tech from various brands so I can see your point. I guess the Tablet is not for everyone.

stezie.irl
Visitor

Tablet returned and refund received.

I should of learned my lesson with Sony... last time I bought a Sony product was the NW S700 Walkman which played atrac files only... great bit of hardware at the time but of course not long after i bought it Sony dropped atrac support .. They didn’t even release a firmware update to allow users to transfer mp3s to the Walkman, so it hasnt come out of the drawer since...

Sony sell decent hardware, initially, which gets consumers in the door, but one they have your money they don’t care anymore... hence why no Sony representative has responded on their forum..

That’s why i am not holding out for the ICS update for the tablet.