Join now - be part of our community!

BDP-S7200 and Youtube HD playback

profile.country.GB.title
BollyDave

BDP-S7200 and Youtube HD playback

Is there a particular reason why I should not be able to view Youtube content in 1080p via my Sony BluRay player?
I'm pretty sure I used to be able to do this but now the options within the BR app don't even list 1080 as available, just 720.

I'd add that some of the content is stuff I've created and I know it's been rendered in 1080 up at YT and I can view that content, and that of other users in 1080 on a poxy mobile phone, but not on your BluRay player?

I'd appreciate a simple explanation/fix if possible. BTW I've already done the Initialize personal information more times than I can count. I'd add that my player is ethernet connected, but I've tried wireless too, just for a laugh, and it made no difference.

I just want it to work without the usual runaround and frustration I always seem to encounter with Sony hardware.

5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there,

Have you updated to the latest firmware?

Best wishes,

M

profile.country.GB.title
BollyDave

Thanks for the reply. My player is set to auto-update, but i checked anyway and it has the latest version.

From my increasingly cynical perspective, perhaps my error was allowing the device to auto-update, thus delivering new problems to the device on each iteration. Funny how it all worked perfectly when I first bought it, and I was genuinely delighted, and felt I'd made a good choice based on customer reviews at the time. Now it just underwhelms, and annoys me.

I'm becoming increasingly disenamoured with the Sony brand. Not only do they seem hell bent on a strategy of built in feature obsolescence (as I've experienced with 2 of their home cinema receivers) but the support given to customers is evasive, ineffective and (to date) has not fixed any of the problems they have created.

I feel I've given them every chance to resolve problems I've experienced but the lack of problem ownership is appalling. I certainly won't be buying any more of their products until they either sort their act out or start showing paying customers a bit of respect.  :rage:

profile.country.GB.title
Sean_Mc

Hi Dave,

It might be best to get in touch with the support team here for further assistance.

Best wishes,

Sean Mc

profile.country.GB.title
BollyDave

Thanks for the suggestion Sean, but after several weeks of email ping pong, I've got nowhere.

The final suggestion has been to get the thing to my "nearest service centre" which is about an hour away, and would be subject to charges, fault found or not. After speaking to them I have decided this would be a waste of their, and my time.

So here I am once more, having now purchased 3 items of Sony home entertainment hardware, where things have not gone well.

Whilst I cannot prove it, it seems highly coincidental that the only issue this device has is related to YouTube playback, where something seems to have changed, and of course we all know of the complete failure of YT via Sony hardware a few months ago.

Unfortunately my previous experiences of Sony hardware problems have also involved breakdown of 3rd party service functionality, and resultingly I can't help but think something similar is happening here. I'd love to be proven wrong, but there is precedent in my case.

Sony have happily marketed product on the strength of certain features which have subsequently been impacted by problems they have not fixed. I'm talking about the complete failure of the vTuner interface on one of my AV receivers, the drop of (SongPal/Sony Music Center) app support for my current AV receiver, and now, what seems to be the throttling of full HD YouTube playback. In every single case I've used the system to seek resolution, and in every single case, failed.

I really don't know what's going on with them, but as a brand that used to command respect, they've lost mine, along with all future business. Shameful. :rage:

profile.country.GB.title
BollyDave

Update on my part.
My new Sky Q box app allows YouTube streaming so I don't have to rely on this hateful Blu-Ray player any longer.

In years gone by I had more reliable Amstrad kit than this POS, which has a mind of its own, needs to be unplugged from mains regularly, and also enjoys screwing up my home network when it feels like it.

As soon as I run into BR playback problems I'll be replacing with NON-SONY and will relish smashing the mother to pieces with a lump hammer.

If Sony don't like my tone, I do not care, as they've failed me too often and never helped, not one bit.