Join now - be part of our community!

signing up for eReader

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
chongsta.uk
Explorer

signing up for eReader

I'm just a bit sick of problems with this tablet, it has so much potential but asthis being my maiden Sony purchase I had no idea about the lack of documentation to support the device. I tried to send an email to the customer support and it asked for a log-in...apparently that isnt the same as the log-in for this area and not the same as the one-Sony log-in for video unlimited and other related apps.

Back to the problem in hand, the eReader! So after a long while I realised you need computer software as well as an app. Downloaded this but alas no sign-in option or any registration link! There is nothing in the actual app itself to guide you and I'm yet to see a sign-in button on there...asssuming once linked to a computer on the non-supplied usb cable I'll be good to go?

Anyone successfully set-up?

Tags (1)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Watashiwateshdes
Contributor

Totally undetstand where you are coming from and to be honest, running through some of the other topics, so are others but alas, it is one of those things early adoptors have to put up with. Apple was an exception with the iPad to some degree. It will get better, it always does. 

How I got around your issue is just finding a site that offers free ePub files. Download them staight from the site as if you were using a computer. The Reader app picked up my downloaded ePub books fine and read just like the preinstalled ones. 

A good place to start is here http://www.gutenberg.org/  Ok their selection is not all mainstream but it is a start.

Message was edited by: Watashiwateshdes

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
Watashiwateshdes
Contributor

Totally undetstand where you are coming from and to be honest, running through some of the other topics, so are others but alas, it is one of those things early adoptors have to put up with. Apple was an exception with the iPad to some degree. It will get better, it always does. 

How I got around your issue is just finding a site that offers free ePub files. Download them staight from the site as if you were using a computer. The Reader app picked up my downloaded ePub books fine and read just like the preinstalled ones. 

A good place to start is here http://www.gutenberg.org/  Ok their selection is not all mainstream but it is a start.

profile.country.en_IE.title
anobrie79
Visitor

At least you have the app. In  ireland we have nothing but a dead link to android market.Just like the dead link to music unlimited, video umlimited and the "select app".In fact everything this tablet is promoted to do ahead of the competition doesn't  work at all. I run my own business and wonder what it would be like if I turned up to a customer and told him all about the services I will offer in the future but he would have to pay me now. This is a bit of a joke to be honest.

profile.country.CH.title
knight_lancelot
New

Hello!

Have you ever tried to read ebooks with the free Android APP Aldiko (e-book reader)

1. Install Aldiko e-book Reader

2. Copy the .ebup file to your SD Card

(Adobe Digital Editions saves the epub Fils somewhere in the directory \\My Documents\My Digital Editions)

3. Open the Adliko-App on your Sony Tab and authorise your device for Adobe DRM via Adliko Settings

(protected epub files need authorisation by a login for Adobe DRM)

4. Import the books directly by the Import-Function at Adliko -> Chose the house symbol on top left, and select the SD card as a source.

5. Chose the directory where you have copied the epub files and click ok

Your ebooks will be imported in the Adliko app. enjoy reading!

(with this App you can read epub and pdf files [those with DRM protection only if you have a Adobe DRM iD])

I haven't experienced any complications with this app yet. (before you buy ebooks, pls check first which formats Adliko is compatible with on the Android Market, some newer versions such as epubs may not yet be supported)

Compared to other Tablets such as ipad, it is lighter, handy and portable and comfortable.

I already bought several ebooks with DRM from Booksamillion and they work great on this Sony Tablet.

sorry for the bad english

truffled
Visitor

If its any help, Ive got Kobo, Kindle for tablets and Overdrive apps  and downloaded free ebooks from all of them direct to the tablet without any problems.

It would be nice to have them all in one location but I havent figured out how to do that yet.  lol

ps - Overdrive is for borrowing ebooks from the local library

chongsta.uk
Explorer

Thank you for all the suggestions. Although I am still curious if anyone has managed to make this work?

profile.country.GB.title
thejudge
Explorer

I went to the sony e reader uk site , link from sony.co.uk and then followed thelink to download free books from the tablet.  once downloaded the e reader picked them up no problem. 

chongsta.uk
Explorer

Great news... think I am doing something wrong though... downloaded an epub free ebook , opened the eReader app and nothing happened. Tried the sony provided ones... some worked.

Any advice? Is that the right file type?

I just bought one from waterstones, clicked download and I got a failed page but now have to contact that to get it back... any advice there?

Thank you

Message was edited by: chongsta.uk

Message was edited by: chongsta.uk

profile.country.GB.title
thejudge
Explorer

Cannot help you with the waterstones issue but I can confirm that epub is the right file type.  Did you download it straight to the tab?  I did and the reader app picked it up np problem.  See if it is in the download folder using the file transfer app maybe.  Should be there.

profile.country.CH.title
knight_lancelot
New

Hello

If the waterstone-page failed to open, it can't be in the download folder on your tablet or your computer.

Try to check if the ebooks you purchased are in the purchase history on your profile at waterstone and try to download them again on your tablet.

If that really doesn't work, I can only recommend to download it on your computer (open it with Adobe Digital Edition) and transfer the new epub file (which will be generated in the directory \\My Documents\My Digital Editions) to your Tablet via SD card.

hope this may help - it worked fine on my tablet S.