SONY TABLET S AND PS3 DNLA

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
LLOYDPS3
Visitor

SONY TABLET S AND PS3 DNLA

hello,

hope someone can help here.

trying to find out if i can access content on my ps3(video/pics/music) from the sony tablet s(and vice versa) via DNLA and if i can use the throw function via PS3.My PS3 is the only DNLA device in my network.

Ive checked the net and cannot find an answer to this.

called a sony centre they said no, but called another sony centre and they said yes.

thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
chdonne43
Explorer

I'm not sure if you can access the content on your PS3 from your tablet.

You cannot "throw" the content from the tablet to the PS3, (i.e. initiate the transfer from the tablet).

However, the tablet will appear as a media server on your PS3, so you can pull the content from the tablet to the PS3.    (This question was answered by the sony Tablet expert on a facebook Q&A).

Hope that helps.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
Brynty1983
Visitor

Sony - Please answer this. I have the exact same question and it hasn't been clear in your marketing of the tablet.

Thanks

Watashiwateshdes
Contributor

Hi

Welcome to the Sony Forum. The Tablet seems to be really kicking off with some interest here in the UK now which I suppose is a good thing.

As for your question, yeah I see what you mean. Even my attempts at searching the whole Internet could not provide me with a concrete answer. In theory I know the PS3 supports content via DLNA but not a feature like throw which pushes content from one device to another but I have sent this up to get something more official for you.

Once I get an official answer, I shall let you know

profile.country.GB.title
chdonne43
Explorer

I'm not sure if you can access the content on your PS3 from your tablet.

You cannot "throw" the content from the tablet to the PS3, (i.e. initiate the transfer from the tablet).

However, the tablet will appear as a media server on your PS3, so you can pull the content from the tablet to the PS3.    (This question was answered by the sony Tablet expert on a facebook Q&A).

Hope that helps.

cowinch
Visitor

My new Tablet S does not appear as a media server on my PS3 - what exactly are the instructions for doing that?

The documantation for this device is terrible

Conrad Winchester

p.lawrence
New

I was having the same issue then I started to think about it.  Surely the DNLA application on the tablet is only for receiving video from a media server.  When I had my Windows 7 Media Center up and running I could see my media center on my tablet as well as my XBox 360 and PS3.  I can't see the point of using the tablet as a media server, bearing in mind the storage limitation of these devices.  My 16GB model only has about 13GB of usable space after Android and all my apps have taken their bit.

cowinch
Visitor

But that's one of it supposed major USP's - the ability to 'throw' (i.e. serve) content to a DLNA client, such as a television.

It doesn't work though.

Richy_S
Visitor

Hi,

I too have searched for DLNA information specific to the Tab and it’s all a bit vague.  The documentation for my S480 Blu-ray player is brief to say the least and I’m still unsure as to what I should be expecting in terms of functionality.   

A weekend of trial and error has resulted in some success all be it temperamental.  While I can connect my PC and Phone to the Blu-ray player, the Tab and the Bly-ray don’t like talking to each other all that much with sporadic success with the throw function!

Some comprehensive information would be useful and gratefully received regarding expectations and network configuration requirements.

Cheers.

PS.. when it works it’s cool as.... :slight_smile:

--steve--
New

I have a samsung le40 TV, and so far I have not managed to 'throw' content to it. my tv is connected to my router via ethernet cable and when playing video on the tablet, my tv appears when pressing the transfer button, however when throwing the content I get the message:

'the player may not be registered with the media server'

now perhaps it is because my tv does not support the dlna push, im not sure?

I then tried downloading a dlna media server from the android marketplace (shareme free), and now my tv can see my tablet to pull media from and I can see the sample video files, but they dont play. this could be due to my tv or the free software im using, again im not sure :-S

I know tnis doesnt really answer any questions, I just wanted to point out the things I ave tried already to save others the time. if anyone can get the swipe to working, let me know how - I saw it working at IFA so it must work somehow 🙂

Steve

davbeane
Visitor

If you go to the DNLA web site you can check which products use DNLA