Join now - be part of our community!

Warranty on Tablet?

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
hip_hop_rob
Explorer

Warranty on Tablet?

Exclusive to Sony.com and Sony Centres is a 2 year warranty as opposed to a 1 year through everyone else.

Ordinarily this wouldn't bother me for other products but as this is a brand new model, I am tempted for the first time to steer away from John Lewis as they can't compete without a price hike!

They have always been top notch with their free extended warranties on TV's etc but confirm they can only offer a 1 year warranty with the S1 like all other retailers.  So the lure of 2 year warranty is a big plus.....Unfortunately I can't find out what this 2 year warranty consists of, so it is fairly vacuous.  Anyone able to shed any light?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Watashiwateshdes
Contributor

Hi. Looking at it, when a warranty is extended, it follows the usual first year that the manufacturer provides. The only difference is that once the first year is over, the supplier of the additional warranty is responsible.

The terms and conditions can be found on http://Sony.co.uk/support

Best thing to do is ask the retailer and if they say the same applies as the first year, then you should have no problem. Usually accidental damage has its own name and not tied in directly with warranty.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Watashiwateshdes
Contributor

Hi. Looking at it, when a warranty is extended, it follows the usual first year that the manufacturer provides. The only difference is that once the first year is over, the supplier of the additional warranty is responsible.

The terms and conditions can be found on http://Sony.co.uk/support

Best thing to do is ask the retailer and if they say the same applies as the first year, then you should have no problem. Usually accidental damage has its own name and not tied in directly with warranty.

hip_hop_rob
Explorer

Just to update to this thread for everyone.  Got the S1 at john Lewis advertised on its johnlewis.com site that it too also offered a 2 year warranty on the web and in store!

hip_hop_rob
Explorer

Just an update on my previous update!  John Lewis's 2 year guarantee that I had secured on my tablet appears to have disappeared both from the .com site and in store.

It appears to have been replaced by a 1 year guarantee.

Don't know the official reason but me thinks Sony probably kicked up a fuss as they were touting exclusivity on a 2 year guarantee from Sony.com and all Sony stores.  Just my opinion but if JL or Sony want to comment, then that would be good.

Hope there were others that managed to secure a 2 year guarantee from JL too.

Techwomble
Visitor

There's further news on this one. Last week, I ordered a Sony Tablet from John Lewis and asked about the two year guarantee which had been replaced by one.  They told me that the two year one it had been withdrawn.  However, today I noticed on their website that ALL tablets now  come with a 2 year guarantee!  As I only took delivery of mine last Thursday, I shall be asking for the 2 year guarantee.  Hope everyone else does as well.