Join now - be part of our community!

Throwing to Samsung smart tv

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
chongsta.uk
Explorer

Throwing to Samsung smart tv

My Sont Tablet S manages to find my 7 series "allshare" enabled TV but gives an error stating it is not connected to a media server.

I use windows media player to stream from a laptop with no issue and without it being connected to a server.

The only reason I bought this tablet over the iPad was for this built in feature - really disappointed if I cannot get it to work!

Tags (2)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Watashiwateshdes
Contributor

I still do not see it as a bad idea, just more a case of waiting to see what updates and information Sony release once they have had a chance to test everything.

If you read chongsta.uk's post, they HAVE managed to throw images so it shows that wifi direct is NOT a requirement of throw. I would forget that for now and find out what works and what does not. Can you throw ANYTHING to your TV and as I mentioned, have Samsung confirmed that their TV's support "push" content?

Since chongsta.uk has managed to throw images to the TV, I posted up 3 test videos in different formats for people to download and try throwing. If some work and some do not, then it is not the Tablet but your TV.

Every brand of TV supports various file types since there are so many optional DLNA files, below is a list of mandatory files that DLNA must support and optional.

Media FormatsRequired Formats SetOptional Formats Set
ImagingJPEGGIF, TIFF, PNG
AudioLPCM (2 channel)MP3, WMA9, AC-3, AAC, ATRAC3plus
VideoMPEG2MPEG1, MPEG4, WMV9

So the question to you would be, have you tried LPCM, JPEG and MPEG2 files? This is the reason why I posted up 3 sample movies in different formats and containers for people to try to see what their TV supports as there is zero conversion by the tablet. I would say, download them, pop them on your tablet and try throwing some music, pictures and the video files. See what works and what does not. If one works then it is one step in the right direction. Just remember, we have the Tablet at the ready to test things like this, and I do not mind trying to help find a solution.

I can only imagine a list of compatible models is coming but since no manufacturer gets other brands of TV delivered for free for testing,it will take longer to build that list.

View solution in original post

32 REPLIES 32
--steve--
New

im having issues with this too, im sure there must be a simple solution. hopefully some lovely sony bod will tell us the secrets :slight_smile:

cowinch
Visitor

The whole throw thing is a load of s**t. I have a sony tablet s - have spent a week on the phone to sony trying to get it to work, but it essentially comes down to this.

On the Sony Tablet S microsite it says

Share your content easily

but it should really be

Share your content easily if you bought a sony TV in the last month, and you then upgrade its firmware.

It relies on a technology called Wi-Fi Direct, but this is not mentioned anywhere, and only the latest sony TV's have it.

I really feel that the Sony advertising for this device is very misleading - just ask for a list of compatible TV's and see where that gets you.

Absolute rubbish

chongsta.uk
Explorer

I'm at the point that I want a refund! No samsung TVs are Wi-fi direct :slight_frown:

This has the makings of what should be a fabulous piece of kit but all I can do is go into my sony centre and stream to their TVs!

cowinch
Visitor

bump

Watashiwateshdes
Contributor

I am sorry to disagree but it does not rely on wi-fi direct.

I have tried and tested content on a KDL-40NX713 which is last years model so would not be using this tech and worked fine. The only file format which choked was MKV's. I have even managed to pick up my Xbox360 (early 2008 model) to throw to which does not have wi-fi direct either.

You say that you use Windows Media Player to stream content from your laptop to your TV but that is pulling content. I do not have a Samsung TV so the question is, have Samsung confirmed that their products support PUSH content which essentially what the Tablet is doing?

I hate to bring it up but when mentioned about the following

Share your content easily, that paragraph does have an asterisk at the end indicating there is more than simply sharing. Granted it could have made mention as to the entire breakdown but not really what the majority of companies publish.

chongsta.uk
Explorer

That fills me with more optimism then. I was wondering how I managed to get the images to throw but now the video... checked the firewall settings and all seem to be ok...any advice there?

Watashiwateshdes
Contributor

Yeah, out of the kindness of my own heart (more boredom), I made a few video files which play on the Tablet, can you try throwing them on your Samsung?

I have a feeling the biggest pain is the TV does not support the same video containers as the Tablet which is where the problem is being caused.

Right click and select Save as. Leave the filenames as they are so we  can find out which work and which do not. I hope the older Sony  Bravia's support the AVC profiles. *fingers crossed* Clarity-Rebirth is my portfolio and not some random site I found. 😉

http://www.clarity-rebirth.co.uk/Test_Video/m2t.m2t

http://www.clarity-rebirth.co.uk/Test_Video/MainAVC.mp4

http://www.clarity-rebirth.co.uk/Test_Video/SonyAVC.mp4

cowinch
Visitor

Well I have spent nearly two weeks on the phone to Sony Technical support and they have told me that 'throw' is Wifi direct only. I have it officially from them.

Just goes to show why its a bad idea to buy this tablet - they still haven't [rovided me with a list of compatible televisions.

Watashiwateshdes
Contributor

I still do not see it as a bad idea, just more a case of waiting to see what updates and information Sony release once they have had a chance to test everything.

If you read chongsta.uk's post, they HAVE managed to throw images so it shows that wifi direct is NOT a requirement of throw. I would forget that for now and find out what works and what does not. Can you throw ANYTHING to your TV and as I mentioned, have Samsung confirmed that their TV's support "push" content?

Since chongsta.uk has managed to throw images to the TV, I posted up 3 test videos in different formats for people to download and try throwing. If some work and some do not, then it is not the Tablet but your TV.

Every brand of TV supports various file types since there are so many optional DLNA files, below is a list of mandatory files that DLNA must support and optional.

Media FormatsRequired Formats SetOptional Formats Set
ImagingJPEGGIF, TIFF, PNG
AudioLPCM (2 channel)MP3, WMA9, AC-3, AAC, ATRAC3plus
VideoMPEG2MPEG1, MPEG4, WMV9

So the question to you would be, have you tried LPCM, JPEG and MPEG2 files? This is the reason why I posted up 3 sample movies in different formats and containers for people to try to see what their TV supports as there is zero conversion by the tablet. I would say, download them, pop them on your tablet and try throwing some music, pictures and the video files. See what works and what does not. If one works then it is one step in the right direction. Just remember, we have the Tablet at the ready to test things like this, and I do not mind trying to help find a solution.

I can only imagine a list of compatible models is coming but since no manufacturer gets other brands of TV delivered for free for testing,it will take longer to build that list.